Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Road eats me
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah im looking at gettin leather pants and new gloves.

But im stayin away from alipinestars! I havent had any good experiences with them. My alpinestars boots have had to be taken back to get repaired twice, in 4 months. And Petrols alpinestar glove tore up, where his jeans didnt.

Im considering either dianese or spidi. Im just thinking goin all out and gettin the best qual gear i can afford. Also lookin at gettin a good quality back protector.

Is it cheaper to buy online and have it shipped over? Or easier and safer to buy from a retailer here.

And i was goin to buy leather pants, and an experienced tyre fryer who shalt remain nameless, said "that i wouldnt really need to worry bout gettin leathers unless i was doing trackdays"

·
Registered
116 Posts
Jaydee said:
Yeah im looking at gettin leather pants and new gloves.

And i was goin to buy leather pants, and an experienced tyre fryer who shalt remain nameless, said "that i wouldnt really need to worry bout gettin leathers unless i was doing trackdays"
Ive got leather trousers - Should wear all the time but depends on the ride youre doing sometimes ie we werent pushing it on Sunday ! Back protector..........thats something I am gonna get only get one chance there!!!

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
Anyone who says full leathers and a wheelchair preventer (back protector) is only for trackdays has either:

1) Never been down hard

2) A fool

:beer

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
I tell people this who ask me why I wear full leathers:

" next time you're driving/riding down the road, say 40 mph, think about jumping out/off - what would you like to be wearin'?"

It could happen(it doesn't have to happen, but it could) to anyone, anytime. Be ready.

·
glory last forever
203 Posts
Hey jaydee,
Have you thought of looking around and maybe getting some custom leathers made 2 piece i have a set made by peels leathers from the central coast NSW. Just a thought instead of buying off the shelf. Get that back protector you dont even know you have it on and as they say every little bit helps

·
Road eats me
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wat is the quality like?

Cause i dun wanna fork ova good cash for stuff that is just goin to get shredded :(

·
glory last forever
203 Posts
I"d say good quality,other riders that have or used to have peels leathers include there son,brock parks,troy corsa,kevin curtian.

I can send you there phone number if you want to give them a call but it cant be till next tuesday the (9th March) .If but if you dont want to use them theres also tiger angle the have a brisabane agent,plus there would have to be others.I just think custom suits are good because its like your design not someone else"s .

·
2,671 Posts
A decent 1 piece leather suit is much better than a two piece and many brands are either repairable or multi crashable.

·
Ride it like you stole it!!!
326 Posts
Droog said:
Anyone who says full leathers and a wheelchair preventer (back protector) is only for trackdays has either:

1) Never been down hard

2) A fool

:iamwithst :yesnod

I have a Spyke two piece suit, Sidi vertebra boots and Spidi gloves.

A while ago I came off my bike at about a buck forty, while I did fracture my left patella (kneecap), I didn't get a scratch on me. My patella was fractured because of the funny angle I hit the road NOT because the armour in my suit didn't do it's job.

My suit remained completely intact, apart from a bit of scuffing. My boots took a severe beating but saved my feet and ankles from any injuy. I still wear these boots, but I will replace them soon as they don't look that flash anymore. :lol

My Spidi gloves saved my hands, but fell apart in the process. The stitching came apart in many places and the leather actually tore at the top of the palm (where the fingers meet the palm). Although the gloves did save my hands, I am fairly unhappy with the way that they fell apart. It is somewhat understandable that the stitching failed where they impacted the road, but I think that the leather tearing is unacceptable. :rant

As a result I replaced these gloves with a pair of $300 Spyke racing gloves... hope that I never have to test them though.

I suppose I am an extreme case, I have a lot of money tied up in my gear, but I don't do things in halves... when I buy something, I buy something good.

JMR :fork

·
326 Posts
Droog said:
A decent 1 piece leather suit is much better than a two piece and many brands are either repairable or multi crashable.

I am going to have to disagree here Droog.... I have NEVER heard of a problem with a DECENT two piece suit coming apart in a crash.

Most of these guys are probably only going to have one suit for a fair while, so the fact that you can wear just the jacket with a pair of jeans when you go down to the local cafe makes a two piece very attractive.

What is the advantage of a one piece suit? (unless it is for track days only) :dunno

JMR

·
dunning-kruger researcher
10,277 Posts
there is always the possibility of the zip failing

a one piece simply removes that variable :)

which would give it an advantage imho :yesnod

·
2,671 Posts
JMR said:
I am going to have to disagree here Droog.... I have NEVER heard of a problem with a DECENT two piece suit coming apart in a crash.

Most of these guys are probably only going to have one suit for a fair while, so the fact that you can wear just the jacket with a pair of jeans when you go down to the local cafe makes a two piece very attractive.

What is the advantage of a one piece suit? (unless it is for track days only) :dunno

JMR
Where did I say I was referring to it coming apart? Try a one piece, they fit much better than a 2 piece, which helps in a crash. The jackets in a two piece are too short to wear alone anyways, plus just give you an excuse not to wear full gear.

·
Registered
607 Posts
well for 2 piece suits i give big thumbs up for tigerangel, i had a custom made suit that cost me 1900$, which was dearer then dainese, spidi etc which i could of bought for cost price in melbourne.. but none fit well.. also with tigerangel, if i do come off, and tear a section of the suit, it is very cheap to get fixed by the ppl at tigerangel.. never had any probs with the zipper.. i bought this as it was bettre then a one piece even tho i like trackdays, just weekend riding in a one piece is a pain.. specially when going to the toilet ;)

·
326 Posts
Paul.R1 said:
well for 2 piece suits i give big thumbs up for tigerangel, i had a custom made suit that cost me 1900$, which was dearer then dainese, spidi etc which i could of bought for cost price in melbourne.. but none fit well.. also with tigerangel, if i do come off, and tear a section of the suit, it is very cheap to get fixed by the ppl at tigerangel.. never had any probs with the zipper.. i bought this as it was bettre then a one piece even tho i like trackdays, just weekend riding in a one piece is a pain.. specially when going to the toilet ;)
:iamwithst :yesnod

·
Crash Test Dummy
662 Posts
I have been highsided at just over 100, slid down the tarmac for a total of about 50 metres from a few slides and my leathers are fine.

I have a two-piece RJays that I bought for 800 two years ago. Admittedly, they are scarred up quite a bit but are still held together without any stitching coming undone.

The gloves are RJays aswell and they are in the same condition as the leathers.

·
Road eats me
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any places where u can get good deals on decent gear in Aus?

Cause most places seem to be a rip :(

·
My selector forks need to HTFU
3,062 Posts
If you can dude, see if you can go for a 1 piece if you are going to be doing a lot of Mt Glorious days and track days and the like. I had (still have) a 2 piece Dainese that I went down the road in and the zip came apart. Never again will I buy Dainese. But I also had a back protector on, and lucky i did 'cause I took out a post with my back. Personally I really like Alpinestars, all my new gear is their stuff. I have 2 pairs of Alps gloves, SM-X Plus Boots and a 1 pce. But I also have the Sidi Vertibra boots. they are fine, and better for wearing with jeans when riding around town. Lots easier to take on and off than the alps. But I don't like them as much.
Try and get the best gear you can afford, and if it means saving for a couple more weeks, do it, and just take it easy on the bike. If you can't afford it, get a loan. :lol :lol :lol

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
JMR said:

JMR
I had my Spidi 2pc suit come apart while at a track day:yesnod While I was looking around for a 1pc as I was doing more/frequent track days,after this little hiccup-the thought of coming off and having the suit come apart again really scarred the shat out of me,so as you can imagine-I bought the 1pc suit alot quicker than intended:D

Even if youre not doing track days,alot of ppl will suggest going for a 2pc suit,as its not really that much of a hastle having a 1pc suit. The only reason Id opt for a 2pc insted of a 1pc if I was NEVER going to do any track/fast riding on the bike at all:fact

Then again,there are plenty of guys that have a 2pc suit that havent had any problems with them at all:)

Good luck with the decission,

CHeers,
:thumbup

·
326 Posts
Yep... more evidence that Spidi = Sh1t.

I won't buy Spidi ever again after my gloves fell apart so easily. :machinegu :rant

JMR

·
Road eats me
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well if JMR has had a bad experience wif spidi....

Ive had bad experience with alpinestars....

Any suggestions what is best bang for buck?

Ive been considerin gettin a tiger angel 1 piece suit.

Anyone had any issues wif the AGV leathers? They r decent price, but wondered if anyone has crash tested them.

Im still looking for a nice set of gloves.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts