Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 625 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, here it is,... the worlds lightest R1.....and most probably the worlds ugliest .

The new alloy tank I just finished making is 1.8kg
The old one was 5.6kg
Thats 3.8kg off the bike. The bike was already 149kg before the tank
149kg minus 3.8kg is 145.2kg wet no fuel.

·
Im Ok, Its My Bike Thats Sick!
304 Posts
That thing probably just flies!!!! Have you done any major engine upgrades? It would probably be kinda scary to ride I'd imagine.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
:scared where do i start?:lol
what is the tail fairing off?
where's the snorkels on the airbox?
and why didn't you do a flush fitting filler on the tank?
i bet it's a bitch to lay across now?:ncont:
and how did you weigh the bike?

edit: just saw your link, and read they are r6 fairings

·
BESTOFRIENDS-WORST OF ENEMIES
1,334 Posts
props for the work BUT

can we please not tell people that its a R1:flush:

·
Mad Scientist
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That thing probably just flies!!!! Have you done any major engine upgrades? It would probably be kinda scary to ride I'd imagine.
The last 3.8kg feels like 10 or 15hp
The brakes now can easily punt you over the bars or simply throw the steering to full lock if you dont strain your arms .
BUT the engine is basically stock as far as the usual power up mods go.
Standard cams pistons rods and carbs. Even the headers are crap stock 02 Ti with a gutted valve body.
Just a bit of port work, Dynojet kit. The crank weighes 9.2kg.
The acceleration now is violent,,physically violent. The steering threatens to go into hyper death wobble mode and you cant stop the front from hovering.
Fairing is 06R6 glass and the snorkel has been gone for years.
I lowered the deck of the tank so the filler would be more or less flush. Its already too big at 12 liters, you only need 9l for 2 sessions.
I couldnt get my guts down that low now so it wont be uncomfortable.
I have access to a large electronic packing scale down at a factory I used to work at. Its about 1.2m square.

Samson why shouldnt we tell ppl its an R1 ?

·
living the dream
114 Posts
very innovative, I like it ............ did you get the slipping clutch sorted? could that have been effecting your ability to get on the gas sooner?

deacs:thumbup

·
Mad Scientist
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very innovative, I like it ............ did you get the slipping clutch sorted? could that have been effecting your ability to get on the gas sooner?

deacs:thumbup
Well I put a new spring in and the lever certainly feels harder but wont know if its cured the slipping till I got it out on track.
Wouldnt have effected cornering cause it only slipped on the str8

·
Lifetime Premium Member
763 Posts
Just glancing at the pic of your bike , I can see about 10 items that could be lighter that are not. To name a few , carbon tank , carbon airbox , ceramic rotors , Ti shock spring , superbike tail { stock seats weigh 2 lbs } GP can .Also are you sure stock headers are Ti ? Good tapered aluminum bolts weigh about a1/3 of steel.
Got a 3/4 lb lithium battery under the seat ? :)The list goes on.

·
Ride Like You've Got a Pair!
380 Posts
It's an ugly mo'. I hope it's fast!

With that death wobble you describe, maybe you should add the weight of a steering damper.

·
Mad Scientist
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's an ugly mo'. I hope it's fast!

With that death wobble you describe, maybe you should add the weight of a steering damper.
Its already got one, A Gix1000 unit down in front of the steering head.
And if you read carefully it doesnt go into death wobble, it "threatens" to go into death wobble. One wrong move and it gets ugly

·
Mad Scientist
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Ride Like You've Got a Pair!
380 Posts
Its already got one, A Gix1000 unit down in front of the steering head.
And if you read carefully it doesnt go into death wobble, it "threatens" to go into death wobble. One wrong move and it gets ugly
Whew - that's a relief! Couldn't see it in there.

·
06 50th R1 - BOTM Aug 10
885 Posts
Well you don't have to worry about anyone stealing it. Finally an R1 that makes gixxers look sexy!!!!!!:dundun::dundun::dundun::dundun:

·
add it to my tab officer!
1,789 Posts
i dont know about you but aparently the heavyest part of all bikes are the rider, maybe put yourself on a diet too, im not trying to be rude, just saying. i admire your hard work to do thos things yourself.
it may look a bit ugly but nobody will laugh if all they see is ya a$$

·
AFTERHELLBURNER
1,725 Posts
I think thats a great idea with the tank, put a custom fit carbon tank cover on there and your on to something.

·
Mad Scientist
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about Carbon fibre rims?
Already got Dymags.
Have decided to make a fibreglass cover for the tank and airbox maybe using the original tank as a mould.
If everything goes well I have some dragstrip videos by the end of the week

·
n00b
1,024 Posts
Mine's pretty light, I need to weigh it because I always wanted to know how much lighter than stock.

I didn't set out to make mine light, it just came out that way.

1 - 20 of 625 Posts