Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard to always use a rivet on a chain and not a master link. That the master links have been known to come off.

So I just purchased a new chain and sprockets. The guy at the shop said to use a master link and that only racers really bother with the riveted chain links.

Can I please get some people with experience on the subject to give me some guidance on this? This is the first non-OEM chain I have purchased so I'm relying on you guys!

Even though I'm getting a master-link with my chain I can always run down the street and get it riveted instead so whatever you all say - I will do.

·
shoots! scores!!
1,217 Posts
rivet style master link! your stock chain has this style.

there is a clip style master link, thatz what you don't want.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Actually, i prefer] the rivet type, but i can also say i have personally run clip type links for extended amounts of time without any problems.

If you use the clip type, remember to install the clip so that the closed end is facing the direction of rotation around the sprockets. Also another tip for clip types, is to put a small amount of silicone on the clip to hold it to the side plate of the link. or safety wire throught the pin and over the top of the link to add extra safety. All-in-all i would say that most of the horror stories about links coming off are from improper installation, but if you're worried jsut go get a riveted link put on it.
That way you will not be thinking about it ahen riding, when you should be thinking about riding!:crash

Hope that helps.

·
MY R1 ATE THE BANK!
1,447 Posts
SOME racers use the clip link BUT you have to lockwire them and inspect very often!!:beer :beer

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
Just so your not confused there are 2 types of mstr links.....rivet & clip. The largest % of people use a rivet as it has become the preferred way over time, but back in the day.....ahem! the clip style was it, alas no more.

BD

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big Daddy said:
Just so your not confused there are 2 types of mstr links.....rivet & clip. The largest % of people use a rivet as it has become the preferred way over time, but back in the day.....ahem! the clip style was it, alas no more.

BD
I'm gonna go with the rivet. Otherwise it's gonna bother me while I'm riding.

btw - this is the rear sprocket I ended up buying. Anyone try them before?

Stealth

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
martinc said:
The guy who told you that is or full of shiat or you remembered the other way...

Racers use clip-type,road guys use rivet.

I use clip type,but I glue the clip in a special epoxy.
I definitely don't have the conversation mixed up because he really talked me out of buying the rivet (which I was going to get) 'cause he said it wasn't needed.

I believe he was giving his honest opinon, but it sounds like the wrong one for me. I should have just followed my instincts and bought the rivet.

No big deal though. I can just get one at the local shop.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
afabbrin said:
I'm gonna go with the rivet. Otherwise it's gonna bother me while I'm riding.

btw - this is the rear sprocket I ended up buying. Anyone try them before?

Stealth
That's what i want, but they don't have em to fit my wheels :cryin

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
martinc said:
Stealth sprockets can be problematic...their construction doesnt insure you of getting a perfectly round one at all.

The rivet-type master link require the use of a chain riveting tool which is an additional $$$ expense.
Is that a theory or from past experience?

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I searched the web and could only find one post that related to an issue with the sprocket. I did find this link with some questions and answers. Well, since it's already on it's way I'll be the test subject, beat the heck out of it and see what happens!

Questions and Asnwers

·
MY R1 ATE THE BANK!
1,447 Posts
martinc said:
The guy who told you that is or full of shiat or you remembered the other way...

Racers use clip-type,road guys use rivet.

I use clip type,but I glue the clip in a special epoxy.
:iamwithst :beer :beer

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be honest I would not have gone with these if I would have seen that they were a two-piece design. I don't really care how they look. They were just suggested to me over the phone and I went with them. I thought they had a 'coating' of steel on the teeth.

Live and learn.. If I do encounter a problem you can be sure I'll post it.

·
Blue is best
787 Posts
Martin may have had good luck with the clip type so that's why he's partial to them. Myself I use the rivet type only, the reason being that I finally broke down and bought an RK chain breaker/rivet installer tool and have never looked back. Buy one of these and a handful of rivet master links and you wont either. I can break and install a new chain in under 10min. taking it easy.

BTW the RK brand removal/install tool is the only one to buy, it's a professional tool.

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yamaguy said:
Martin may have had good luck with the clip type so that's why he's partial to them. Myself I use the rivet type only, the reason being that I finally broke down and bought an RK chain breaker/rivet installer tool and have never looked back. Buy one of these and a handful of rivet master links and you wont either. I can break and install a new chain in under 10min. taking it easy.

BTW the RK brand removal/install tool is the only one to buy, it's a professional tool.
SO if I buy a new chain that is a few links too long I can use the RK tool to take three links out and then rivet the chain together correct?

And did you specifically get matching RK chain rivets - or generic ones?

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like to do as much as possible myself so I'mm gonna get it.

thanks for all the helpd guys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts