Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
News, 22/10/05

Kenny Roberts Jr will not have his Team Suzuki MotoGP contract renewed for the 2006 season once his current agreement comes to an end in December.

No announcement has yet been made on Roberts Jr’s future plans, although he is expected to link up with his father’s Proton KR outfit. The 2000 World Champion was due to make his final appearance for Suzuki at the last round of the season in Valencia, but the injuries sustained at Phillip Island have now ruled him out of that event.

“I could easily sit here and talk for hours about all the great times I have had with Suzuki; they have always been honest and have given me their best,” Roberts said. “I will of course miss many people. Over the years I have made many friends here at Suzuki, from the engineering level, to the management and of course within the team. I have many individual people to thank, but that is for another time. I am eternally grateful for what Suzuki has done for me. They have given me the chance to win a World Championship and I wish them the best. I know they can achieve whatever they wish to do.”

Team manager Paul Denning stated: "It has been a great honour to work with a Kenny during my first season in MotoGP. His knowledge and understanding of a racing motorcycle is better than any other racer I have met. He has great respect from all at Suzuki for bringing them the World Championship in 2000 and for the tireless work he has put into developing the GSV-R into a competitive race bike. He will always be regarded as a great champion within the history of Suzuki.

“Suzuki has made this decision because it must look towards the future and the new breed of motorcycles and racers that are due to arrive on the scene. We need to place Suzuki back at the forefront of Grand Prix racing and we must take a fresh and new approach in order to achieve that. Kenny would no doubt have achieved strong results and contributed more to the development of the GSV-R, but we must look further than 2006 and start to make plans for the next generation of machines in 2007 and beyond.”

"On behalf of Suzuki Motor Corporation, we would like to thank Kenny for his skill, his dedication and his commitment to Suzuki since 1999. Together, Kenny and Suzuki became World Champions and that is something that will never change.

"On a personal level, I would like to thank Kenny for helping me and the team to learn so much during 2005. We will miss his consummate skills and his partnership. We very much hope that Kenny will stay in contact with us in the future - much like Kevin Schwantz, Kenny will always be one of Suzuki's Champions at all levels."

:corn

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
biffa said:
He has still shown his class on the odd occasion this year, but he doesnt have the hunger and drive anymore that is required at motogp level.
He'll tell you that you don't know what the hell you're talking about...:fact

The bike is uncompetitive, give him a Honda and he'll spank Gibernau just like when he was still with Suzuki.

·
If speed kills quit taking it
1,651 Posts
Nah nah nah nah,
Nah nah nah nah,
Hey hey hey
GOODBYE!!

Suzuki should have canned his lame ass three years ago, maybe then Hopper would have a competitive bike to race.

·
Bald and Angry
1,103 Posts
kangaroo said:
He'll tell you that you don't know what the hell you're talking about...:fact

The bike is uncompetitive, give him a Honda and he'll spank Gibernau just like when he was still with Suzuki.
Well if this was the case, then why didn't honda team managers beg him to join their squad? Surely a team director would have an eye for talent. Also, considering that both Hopkins and Roberts Jr have the same bike, and that Hopkins consistently out qualifies and out finishes Roberts, I think it's unfair to blame everything on the bike.

·
the lesser of 2 weavels
3,728 Posts
silver_02_rider said:
Well if this was the case, then why didn't honda team managers beg him to join their squad? Surely a team director would have an eye for talent. Also, considering that both Hopkins and Roberts Jr have the same bike, and that Hopkins consistently out qualifies and out finishes Roberts, I think it's unfair to blame everything on the bike.

:iamwithst x10 plus he looks like he ate all the pies of late, that can't help:fact

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
silver_02_rider said:
Hopper may qualify better and that's recently but he does not finish better at all. :fact

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kangaroo said:
Hopper may qualify better and that's recently but he does not finish better at all. :fact
That's true... KR Jr. is till leading the points over Hopper by 3 pts... maybe if Hopper wouldn't crash so much, then maybe he will finish ahead... however, for KR Jr., personally I think he has lost his "hunger" to win ever since he won a championship... I've seen many champions does that...

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ozzy_R1_demon said:
:no There's definatley something wrong with the Suzuki's no doubt about that,theyre just rubbish:(

-Pete:thumbup
It calls a "Slowzuki"... :bash

:crash

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
Valerossi said:
That's true... KR Jr. is till leading the points over Hopper by 3 pts... maybe if Hopper wouldn't crash so much, then maybe he will finish ahead... however, for KR Jr., personally I think he has lost his "hunger" to win ever since he won a championship... I've seen many champions does that...
it's just depressing being at the top of his game then get the same run around from your squad year after year. We'll get you better stuff. Better tires... more power... yada yada yada...

After he won the championship. He should've jumped ship to Honda. They could have easily found a spot for him back then

·
Bone Stock....for now....
460 Posts
kangaroo said:
Hopper is going to be pretty crippled up.....well before his time if he keeps crashing out the way he tends to.....how many nasty highsides can a human body take. Gonna be crippled up by the time he reaches his mid twenties or so.....:(

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kangaroo said:
it's just depressing being at the top of his game then get the same run around from your squad year after year. We'll get you better stuff. Better tires... more power... yada yada yada...

After he won the championship. He should've jumped ship to Honda. They could have easily found a spot for him back then
Well... getting to the top is one thing... and keeping being on the top is another... which is much harder... :yesnod

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.