Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
running with scissors...
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stock 17/45 vs the 16/46. It was still breaking in but the sales manager threw me his key and said go try it out before we put the gear on your bike.

first of all, nobody's gonna put anything on my bike :finger

I ordered that same gear combo the day after I picked up my bike. The sales manager simply doubled the order...

shifting at 6k the gears are just on top of each other. Its about a 9% total change in gear. I think it may be a little too much. I just stuck the new afam's in my back pack and rode away...oh yea I also left the dealer temp tag on my bike...no hurry to get rid of it just yet:D

I'll wait till I finish breaking it in before see which way the gears need to be for the riding style I like...

·
Git er' done
164 Posts
Jeez, thats like adding 4 teeth to the rear, I bet that woke up the sluggish lowend, and it should top out in the 160's pretty quick.

·
running with scissors...
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yamarulz said:
Jeez, thats like adding 4 teeth to the rear, I bet that woke up the sluggish lowend, and it should top out in the 160's pretty quick.
pretty close....

stock gear is about 2.65 and with this change it went to 2.875, 4 teeth on the back would be 2.882....

it was steep, thats for sure.

I'll try the front only change first before I try both, and then I'll go back to stock after that again..see what its like. I don't mind changing back and forth to find out what I like.

·
Git er' done
164 Posts
No doubt, I would think the 1 tooth down on the front would be plenty, a nice compromise. Let us know how it turns out, Im sure that is one mod many will want to do first.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I ordered a Renthal front sprocket for mine and should be here on Mon or Tues and will post up also on what I think.:thumbup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts