Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
180 MPH is a very lonely place
45 Posts
Here's how.....

First gear.....roll along at around 15 mph.....stand up on the pegs and lean forward to get the weight off the rear tyre......pull in the clutch and (this is the important bit) open the throttle FULLY and let out the clutch as fast as you can after the intial bite...do not feed it in but do not drop it in also....keep the throttle nailed WIDE open and control your acceleration with the front brake if you need to....Be aware that if you back off the throttle even minutely the rear tyre is likely to grab suddenly and spit you off...also R1 clutches will destroy themselves in 0.000001 of a second if you try to feed them in.....not may destroy..WILL destroy....More common with standing burnouts when the front tyre breaks grip due to bottling out on the throttle and trying to feed the clutch in again because you don't want to look a jerk in front of all the girlies who're watching (Ring a bell guys?). Never try a burnout unless the rev limiter is bouncing them valves....

·
Local Hooligan
321 Posts
I don't do it at WOT. I go about 5 mph or less. Plus, I air down the front a lil bit for more bite. I stand up, or sit on the tank, the feather the clutch and roll on with just one finger on the front brake draggin. I probably only get to about 8 or 9k on the tach, but I'm not sure, I never really look. Oh, crossed up burnouts are really easy too. No weight on the back tire...

·
Local Hooligan
321 Posts
P.S. The feathering method is hard on the clutch, but that's not what these bikes are designed for. If you feed the clutch in too quickly, and your tires are already warm, you won't look very cool when the bike jumps out from under your ass. A $300 clutch is alot cheaper than new fairings...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts