Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
My insurance eats me...
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had problems doing rolling endos on an R1? I can do so-so stoppies on mine, but I can only roll them for about 5 feet or so. I hopped on a 929 a couple of weeks ago and I was rolling 20-30 feet no problem. The brakes on those things are so strong and progressive, it's a breeze.

On my bike, I'll load the front springs, lean forward, and sqeeze hard. It seems to fight the brakes 'till about 10-15 mph, then the rear end shoots straight up like it gonna flip over !!!! WHich of course results in me staining my drawers and letting off the brake.

:eek:

Any tips or advice for perfecting this useless skill?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The R1's brakes have always sucked. They say :cool:

Get those steel braded (darn can't spell it) brakes.... well you know what I mean. :p

It makes WONDERS! Trust me!

·
Resident Joker
44 Posts
I gave up on it.
I was doing the same thing, the back whips up so fast you have to run to the nearest bathroom to wipe.:eek:

My fix to the problem was to just quit trying it.:D

·
Really?
208 Posts
OK, folks. Here´s how I do it. Ride along at a good pace, 50-70 mph will do. Brake as you normally would (for about one second), then load the rear suspension with a "bump" on the pegs. As the rear starts to rebound, brake MUCH harder and get your butt off the seat and HEY! You´re rolling along on your front wheel. As any other stunt it´s all about timing and doing enough of everything. The "brake-bump-brake harder-and-liftoff" sequence shouldn´t take longer than 1,5 seconds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm donno....I just maneged do do a rolling stoppie with my girlfriend behind. Rolling about 80-85 Km/h. Hmmm donno what that is in mph...and I just breaked realy hard :D Wasn´t the longest stoppie but it was about 5 meters. Haven´t done it so many times alone but i´m starting to get the hang of it. I don´t know what u guys consider a long stoppie though ;)

But i agree that the R1 breaks ain´t the best

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okie Mattias thanks for telling me!!:)

I noticed that you live in Årsta! My girlfriend lives in Årstavägen 79 and I'm spending a lot of time there maybe we´ll meet there someday :)

·
My insurance eats me...
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What the :eek: are you guys talking about??? I vote that the Swedes can't keep riding secrets from anyone else!!

Can get some support here my fellow americans/brits/all others?

:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Battles2a5: Don´t worry as you can see I said to Mattias1 that my girlfriend and he lives in the same part of Stockholm, so he asked me if it was my bike he has seen on the sidewalk among all cruisers.

And I said "Yes it´s mine locked to the streetlight" :D

Then I can add that I don´t have any riding secrets, every time I've been out riding, I'm just happy to get home :) With this I simply say that my riding skill ain´t that good :)

·
My insurance eats me...
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem Robso. My 2 best friends growing up were Swedish American. Their father's family is from Stockholm (Oscarsson's, no them?). So anyway, anytime they wanted to keep something secret, they'd speak in Swedish so nobody could understand them. Those bastards!

:p

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
hehe! I real long shot. It's fun to speak another language to make other people confused. hehe! :)

Back to subject!

Practice on a bicycle!

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
I find it relatively easy to get the rear up; there is one more thing you could check to improve control. Many riders let a stiff upper body shift weight onto their hands. I find that if I really focus on keeping hold of the bike with my legs, and keeping the weight on the seat with my torso(instead of shifting forward onto my hands), I can keep my arms loose/relaxed on the bars so you can just control the bike, and not do the big push-up. I usually start around 100kph, settle the chassis with some brake, then a quick squeeze to lift the rear.:D
PS. Stock brakes!

·
Premium Member
27,468 Posts
I've tried over and over again, but I can't roll. I guess I'll just stick to a normal stoppie. It'll still impress people. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts