Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that he might not leave MotoGP in 2007 yet... :corn

WEDNESDAY 2ND NOVEMBER 2005

MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi heads to Valencia this weekend with one eye on the past and one on the future.

For the first time in his premier-class career, the 26-year-old Italian superstar is coming under sustained pressure from riders younger than himself - in the form of 23-year-old Marco Melandri and 24-year-old Nicky Hayden.

"Some new young riders have come to the front of the field over the last few races, and I am sure we'll have another big battle in Valencia," said Rossi. "Of course I am not old and I hope that I have a few more years at the top yet! I am looking forward to Valencia and we hope our bike works well there and that we can find a good setting straight away."

For now, Rossi seems to be relishing the increased competition - both Honda riders having now won their first MotoGP race this year - which he only expects to increase further next season.

But before then - and with the 2005 riders', teams' and manufacturers' championships already decided - Rossi is glancing to the past as he seeks to set yet more new records in motorcycle grand prix racing.

Last year at Valencia, Rossi completed his first championship with Yamaha by netting his ninth victory of the season - a Yamaha record. This time he has the chance to go a step further by equalling **** Doohan's all-time record of twelve wins in a season.

Also, by finishing ninth or higher at Valencia, Rossi would set a new points record for the premier-class, surpassing his tally of 357 in the 2003 season.

"In Valencia we will really try for the win again; last year we won there with Yamaha and I also won the year before; I like ending the season with a victory!" he grinned. "It is still possible for me to equal Doohan's win record and beat my own, and this is my aim for the last race. Our bike goes well in Valencia and it's always a great race. It is Spain, there are many people and the fans are wonderful. It's always a big party for everyone!"

Meanwhile, Gauloises Yamaha Team director Davide Brivio has challenged his staff to end the season on a high note this weekend as they look to put the gloss on a sparkling year of celebrations for Yamaha's 50th Anniversary.

"This weekend is the last race of what has been a very good season for us," began Brivio. "It has been a great pleasure to help bring so much success to Yamaha in its 50th Anniversary year and we want to finish it in the best possible way. We took the victory at Valencia last season and it would be nice to do the same again.

"We have two targets for the weekend really. One is for a Yamaha victory and the other is to improve Colin (Edwards') fourth position in the championship. It will be difficult because the riders in front of him have a good advantage now and they are looking strong but it is not over yet so we will be trying our best.

"We have a lot of guests and VIPs from around Europe and Japan coming to the race so it would be nice to put on a good show for them and enjoy the celebration party together," he concluded.

Yamaha is yet to officially confirm or deny that they will run a second 50th anniversary livery, after the 'Yamaha USA yellow' of Laguna Seca, this weekend...

Rossi waves, Turkish MotoGP Race 2005

·
Registered
146 Posts
ahum...I hope you meant to type "show"...
I always thought it was funny when everybody talks about new talent and young riders, and the people they are reffering to are 2-3 years younger then the old dog at the top of the championship. I hope his comments mean he will stay in gp and take some motovation out of this 800cc rule change and increase challenge from the younger guys.

·
I rocked in Iraq
889 Posts
I can't wait to see next season! I am sure Nicky and Marco will prove to be much more competetive than Gibernau. I am happy to see my 3 favorites end the season on top!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts