Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
aka `GoBabyGo`
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rossi to get Ferrari drive

Posted on 14 October 2003 - 07:30

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo on Monday invited motorcycling world champion Valentino Rossi to take a test drive with the triumphant Italian Formula One team.
Speaking the day after Ferrari won the world drivers' and constructors' championships and Rossi lifted his third successive Moto GP world title, Montezemolo said he was curious to see if the 24-year-old Italian could handle a Formula One car.

"If the conditions were right I think it would be worth it - a serious test without commitment from either party," Montezemolo said.

"It's always been difficult to go from two wheels to four and these days it is even harder. Today Formula One is much more dangerous than it was in the past, but Valentino is a great champion and a symbol of motorsport."

Englishman John Surtees was successful in making the switch from motor cycling to motor racing. The Londoner won seven world motorcycling championships before claiming the Formula One world title with Ferrari in 1964.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :crash :corn

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
Now that would be interesting to see what he could do :cool: :cool:

·
aka `GoBabyGo`
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imagine him leaving to Ferrari! Here we all are hoping he goes to Yamaha and he ends up in a Ferrari :bash

But I doubt it!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
this test is just a ploy to try and pry rossi away from yamama and lure him to ducati. ferrari and ducati share marlboro sponsorship and they are clutching at straws trying to keep him from signing elsewhere. although rossi has stated that he would one day like to drive f1, he also stated that a sport in which "all the fans see is my head, was unappealing." if yamaha keeps their brass on top of this, he will SIGN soon. they don't want a repeat of the nicky hayden affair!!

·
'00 Warbird
30 Posts
I reckon Rossi plans to win the MotoGP series on three different makes of bike and then retire. If it's Yamaha for 04 and Ducati in 05, then a move to Ferrrari and F1 in 06 when Schumacher stands down would be excellent.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
Curious to see how he will do... Better not run off to car racing though as that would suck for our sport....

- BA

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
I really dont see what the big deal is. I refuse to believe this is anything other than a ploy by the Marlboro Ducati/Ferrari teams to lure Rossi onto a Duc for next year.

All it is a day of driving in a car. Nothing more is promised. Sure its a top of line F1 car, but still why would anyone expect Rossi to jump ship to F1 seriously?

Racing motorcycles is entirely different from racing cars, every strategy of it all the way down to the way your corner, accelerate and brake.

Does Rossi even have any experience racing cars at any level?

for what its worth.. i said the same thing about Michael Jordan when he wanted to play pro baseball for the WhiteSox..

·
aka `GoBabyGo`
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it's just PR.

Rossi did race a couple of off road (WRC) races and is said to be keen on that but he has been doing that for the last two years and has stayed with bikes.

This is just the Italians trying to move him to Ducati but there is no way Ducati can drop Marlboro and Rossi won't race with them as a sponsor.

GBG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts