Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '04 R1 started running roughly this weekend. It seems like it's either running too rich or maybe not sparking on one cylinder. When it's doing this, I definitely see unburned gas coming out the exhaust.

It doesn't do this all the time - it comes and goes.

Has anyone had a problem like this? If so, what was the fix?

The bike was sitting for 4 weeks (in a garage) - could this be a factor?

I have a full exhaust, BMC race filter, and PCIII.

I am thinking of disconnecting the PCIII to see it was the problem.

Thanks for any help.

·
Hey ASSHOLE I am 911
712 Posts
maybe a bad ignition coil???

·
7 More Days 'til the '09 Debut
888 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone actually had a bad ignition coil? I haven't looked at the error codes in the service manual, but does anyone know if ignition issues show up as an error code?

Thanks,

Michael

·
888 Posts
I can't remember if bad ignition coil shows up as an error code specifically for the ignition coil, but I don't think so. I'm sure it will cause an error with one sensor or another, probably the cylinder identification sensor. I will look it up in my service manual and repost.

As for other's with bad ignition coils. . .yeah, I've read of more than a few on the forum although I haven't had the problem myself; same thing with 2nd gear transmission problems. Knock on wood. . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked in the service manual. Fault codes 33-36 indicate faulty ignition (open circuit detected in the primary lead of the ignition coil). I do see several places in the manual where the possibility of a cracked ignition coil is considered.

My problem seems to come and go - so maybe the fault code doesn't come up?

I looked for other posts with cracked coils on '04 R1s, but I didn't find any clear-cut cases. But I agree it seems like an electrical problem.

I'll try disconnecting the PC3 this weekend and if that doesn't fix it, I'll take it to the dealer.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

·
yield
17,823 Posts
Bikes can have a slight stumble when at idle. The 04 R1 has more aggrssive cams if I recall then 02-03 and prior, which will make a bike stumble slightly. All my bikes have a slight stumble but as soon as the throttle inputs are made is what matters, smooth and consistent. You might consider a Throtle body synch which I myself am getting soon. Drop a little fuel line cleaner, or do the seafoam treatment if you want-
Good luck

·
888 Posts
What's the deal with PCII's causing problems all the time. I installed a PCIII USB on my '02 and I think it was causing a problem (won't know for sure until I get it back and reconnect it; the tech disconnected it to trouble shoot some electrical issues I was having from bike theft) and I haven't even done anything with it yet. I had a Yoshi EMS on my '02 GSX-R750 and it was causing problems and I'm hearing about more and more problems cropping up from installing the PCIII's? Does anyone know more about this ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the follow-up: I disconnected the PC3 and took the bike to the dealer. It checked out fine. Then I sent the PC3 to Dynojet. I called today and they told me the PC3 had one "bad injector driver." They'll send me a replacement when they get a shipment. No ETA at this point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a new PCIII from Dynojet - I mailed it out on Jan 4, so it took a little over 3 weeks. My R1 is at a shop getting some suspension work. I'll replace the PCIII when I get it back and hopefully my engine woes will be gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts