Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Booya
34,496 Posts
*bump* any other idea's??? I'm damn tired of this noise, whatever it is!
Still didn't get it fixed?

Were you ever able to find a set of stock rims to eliminate the bearing theory?

·
Shane loves........me
10,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I don't think it's the bearings, cause it spins so freely while it's on a stand. I just hate it becase it's hard to find where it is coming from, there are no rub marks on the forks, lines, fender, calipers or any of the inner panels. I doubt something came loose in the forks, cause that would mess with the turning of the bike. So i'm lost as to where to look

·
Booya
34,496 Posts
Hoenstly, I'd still try. Can you just go to a local shop and "borrow" a set of rims for a 10 min ride?

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
when this noise happens ,try to pull the brake lever just a litle bit and see if the sound is changing/dissapears.
are u sure that this noise comming from the wheel?

·
Shane loves........me
10,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hoenstly, I'd still try. Can you just go to a local shop and "borrow" a set of rims for a 10 min ride?
That is harder than it seems

when this noise happens ,try to pull the brake lever just a litle bit and see if the sound is changing/dissapears.
are u sure that this noise comming from the wheel?
I have grabbed the lever, it doesn't pulsate ot vibrate and doesn't make it go away. The forks are going to ATL in January to get re-built and maybe some new steering head bearings. Other than that, I am lost :fact

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
hhmmm
i think its the bearings .when u spin it on a stand theres no pressure from the side of the rim , like in a turn.
try to twist the rim back & forward while applying pressure from a side .see if u feel something grinding.

·
Shane loves........me
10,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
hhmmm
i think its the bearings .when u spin it on a stand theres no pressure from the side of the rim , like in a turn.
try to twist the rim back & forward while applying pressure from a side .see if u feel something grinding.

:lol Funny you say that because a guy on gsxr.com suggested the same. i tried it this am with no noises other than brake drag.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
:lol Funny you say that because a guy on gsxr.com suggested the same. i tried it this am with no noises other than brake drag.
maybe thats me also?:snorkel
i think u didnt apply enough pressure :epimp
if i were u , next thing i would do is check the fork with a peice of glass and the axle to see if its bent.
next i would run the bike with only one rotor each time.(gotta put something between the brake pads on the rotorless caliper)

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
to check the axle just roll it on some smooth surface .
to check if the forks/triples are bent with a piece of glass :

look at the ugly pic i made:butt .
the red square is the glass , put it on the inner fork tubes as in the pic.
the glass should touch the fork tubes in all 4 corners - the blue circles in the pic, if its touching only 3 then the forks or triples are bent .

Attachments

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,011 Posts
I have somewhat of a similar problem. With my front up on a stand the front wheel spins with with a little bit of brake noise. When my bike is on the ground and I push the bike forward and turn the handle bars to the left, I get a very loud noise. Definitely sounds as if the pads are rubbing slightly...

I looked at the pads and there definitely seems to be enough clearance on the stand though. Any suggestions? I'm running BST's too.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.