1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderater
11,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rude Riders

From http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_3149393

Motorcyclists' new weapon: rudeness

THE Grump isn't scared of Dennis Hopper. There's no way Peter Fonda gives me grumpbumps. And Jack Nicholson, he can take that rakish sneer off his face and try it on someone else. Doesn't frighten me one bit.

In fact, I'm calling all three of them out right now. Easy Rider, my eye. The motorcycle life is far more dangerous these days.

But not for motorcyclists, who have an easier ride on America's highways than ever before. The dangerous part involves automobile drivers who have to deal with these obnoxiously aggressive motorcyclists.

Hopper, Fonda and Nicholson likely haven't ridden Harleys together since their counter-culture cult movie. And the Grump isn't asking them to dust off their motorcycle jackets and wash their old bandanas.

They just need to get in their expensive automobiles, venture out on the freeway and focus on the new kings of the road — the bikers.

In the last few years, bikers have assumed authority of America's highways with the ultimate rudeness. Speaking as a Californian, these brasher-than-ever bikers have me flat-out petrified.

I'm not kidding. My nerves have turned into grump jelly over the modern-day biker, who is taking huge risks without any sign of fear.

And there is no preparation, really, for the brand of fear they create. That's because they strike almost without warning. An automobile driver must be on his or her toes, even though their toes already are pushing against the accelerator and the brake.

But a driver's mental antenna has to be as acute as the car's antenna because a biker, or bikers, may be bearing down on them fast and whizzing by even faster.

Even The Wild One, Marlon Brando, looked like a moped rider next to today's bikers, who no longer are content to stay in the freeway lanes like the rest of us. They now feel the white line is their bike lane.

Their message to nonbikers is: Get out of our way, sedan scum and SUV slobs.

The modern-day highwaymen are bikers who ambush automobile drivers only because there are no more stagecoaches. There is no money being handed over, but these highwaymen rob us of our senses.

Take the Grump, which my wife would like someone to do, because she's tired of making me peanut butter and banana sandwiches for dinner every night while I watch Gilligan's Island re-runs. Can I help it if I think Bob Denver can out-act Brando?

Anyway, the Grump and the Grumpess were out driving recently, with me behind the wheel, mindlessly listening to the great Nat King Cole singing "Unforgettable" — mercifully, without his daughter — when our Dodge Stingray happened to veer slightly to the right.

Suddenly, we heard a thump, thump, thump on the car's right side. Practically scared us out of our Hush Puppies.

Then three guys on motorcycles passed us, revving their bikes as they did. The lead rider even gave us the old highway salute as they rode off.

Brazen? You bet. But what is an automobile driver to do other than pay constant attention?

Staying alert at all times is a priority on freeways. Yet who is conditioned for the white-line bikers (no pun intended)?

The Grump has been informed that if bikers are forced to idle in heavy traffic, their bikes motors would be damaged. All right, but that doesn't mean we have to accept this intrusion, and invasion, of normal freeway traffic patterns without offering some solution.

California's roads were re-designed to accommodate bicycle riders, right? So let's reconfigure our state's highways to accommodate bikers. The far right lane would work out just peachy.

That way, we can all be easy riders.

Grumbling messages can be left at (510) 208-6436 or write to The Grump at PO Box 28884, Oakland, CA 94604. You can e-mail miffed missives to [email protected].

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
My MCM pipe scares the living shit out of people.....:fact

Hell I scared the shit out of two high schoolers walking 2 miles an hour thru the cross walk about a month ago... They literally jump to the curb..... That's right bitches MK's coming thru....:riding

·
Super Moderater
11,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that"s why I can relate to that story as drivers always look scaried when i pass them or when I'm riding towards them. Honestly a lot of them swerve when thye see me coming, maybe the lean angle freaks em out
:scared

·
No Common Sense
1,291 Posts
r1gladiator said:
that"s why I can relate to that story as drivers always look scaried when i pass them or when I'm riding towards them. Honestly a lot of them swerve when thye see me coming, maybe the lean angle freaks em out
:scared
When I white line it, some people see me commin and move over to give me room. Some people don't and that's when they jump in their seats or pull their arms in real quick:lol Granted, i'm only a few inches away from their door. Alot of times I gotta fold my mirrors in so I don't slap theirs! :blush When i'm riding in flowing traffic, people usually hold thier lines, guess i ride too slow :riding

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
Re: Re: Rude Riders

sawdustking said:
r1gladiator said:
Rude Riders

But what is an automobile driver to do other than pay constant attention?

If you can't pay constant attention, get the f#*k off the road before you kill somebody! :butt
:iamwithst if you can't pay constant attention maybe you don't belong in charge of a 2 or 3 ton deadly weapon

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
LMAO this is the email I sent them.....

Since it's apparent that you find it difficult paying attention while driving a 3 ton lethal weapon, you really should return your drivers license to the state, and get a bus pass. Have you ever been to Paris, or Europe? The number of motorcyclists is absolutely incredible and they apparently don't have any issues with fuel conserving motorcycles.

I'm sorry but you really should consider taking a bus to your nearest gun dealer, buy a gun and shoot yourself. Because it's apparent to me that people of your ineptness are a dime a dozen and the DMV needs to revoke your cell phone, make-up bags, sun glasses, dog, crying kids and oh yeah drivers license for being a danger to yourself and others while operating a vehicle.

I await the reply you'll never send,

Mark

·
If speed kills quit taking it
1,651 Posts
Maybe if the 'Grump' checked his mirrors more than once every 15 minutes he'd be aware of what was going on around him and wouldn't be so shocked to see that his inept driving was cutting off the bikes on his right...

jerk.

·
Registered
73 Posts
mkinla said:

Since it's apparent that you find it difficult paying attention while driving a 3 ton lethal weapon, you really should return your drivers license to the state, and get a bus pass. Have you ever been to Paris, or Europe? The number of motorcyclists is absolutely incredible and they apparently don't have any issues with fuel conserving motorcycles.

I'm sorry but you really should consider taking a bus to your nearest gun dealer, buy a gun and shoot yourself. Because it's apparent to me that people of your ineptness are a dime a dozen and the DMV needs to revoke your cell phone, make-up bags, sun glasses, dog, crying kids and oh yeah drivers license for being a danger to yourself and others while operating a vehicle.

Mark
:yesnod :yesnod :lol :lol

·
Certified Lunatic
230 Posts
Maybe if these guys would try riding a bike they would learn to appreciate it a little more and see the joy in it as well as the advantages of a bike. I always look for bikes splitting lanes when I am in my Jeep on the freeways, I know if i were on my bike i would be splitting traffic.

I always watch out for the chick on the cell phone because I know she has no idea how to look over her shoulder and signal while changing lanes and holding a cell phone. :boom

·
Registered
178 Posts
A vehicle is a vehicle, they should pay attention just like we do. I some tiimes like moderate traffic, keeps me on my toes and I get to watch from every angle. But more and more I see crappy drivers, people cutting me off, not signalling, changing lanes at the last second, etc.

·
flipper
1,278 Posts
Re: Re: Rude Riders

sawdustking said:
r1gladiator said:
Rude Riders

But what is an automobile driver to do other than pay constant attention?

If you can't pay constant attention, get the f#*k off the road before you kill somebody! :butt
Absolutely I couldn't agree more. Guy whon wrote that article sounds like a prize tool:yesnod

BTW when I was in LA last summer I rode past a line of stopped traffic near Culver city and pulled a stoppie at the redlight and the women in the car next to me went ballistic, I though that she was gonna die of a heart attack!! It was pretty funny. :lol:lol In some ways people in the US seem a lot more uptight than in Europe:dunno

·
15,500 rpm
360 Posts
did anyone else catch his "genious" idea of a motorcycle lane on the RIGHT side of the highway? So he wants to put the fastest traffic on the right so the rest of the traffic can try to merge through them to get on and off the freeway!

·
My R1 beat your honor student
34 Posts
oh man. this guy is really one dumb SOB. Notice how he says "we merely drifted to the right a bit and thump, thump ,thump." well i would definately thump his ass too if he was about to crush me with his 3 ton weapon. I mean, where does this guy get this stuff. this is obviously a guy who does NOT ride. he is talking about a side he doesnt know, so forget him and his lack of intelligence. i will most definately admit that there is a share of retards out there passing people at 150+ on public roads, but putting all of us motorcyclist in the same boat is unfair, and is why he is still just writing on the internet and making 3 dollars and article, paying his bills for the volvo he drifts in and out of lanes, wrecklessly endangering motorcyclists and other drivers. If i see his ass driftin over to me, ill knock his friggin mirror clean off. But i mean, thats just me, a brazen motorcyclist, much like Peter Fonda lol...:2bitchsla

·
My R1 eats gixxers
866 Posts
mkinla said:

Mark
:eek:wwn3d :lol :lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.