Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 441 Posts

·
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew I could get them to run as both a running light AND a turn signal. Just crimp them with the blue and brown (Left) and the blue and green (Right) wires. You'll have to tap into the green and brown wires if you're using Greggs turn signals. You'll also need about an extra foot of 18 Grade wire. I'll post a full write up tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_LVhizH5Q

·
Malum Prohibitum
1,288 Posts
:corn

·
Registered
394 Posts
Do your turn signals have two or three wires coming from them? I tried doing this with the hotbodies signals and I can get the aux lights and turn signals to blink together but they don't work as running lights. I'll be waiting for the write up. Thanks!

·
Stock Sucks
1,281 Posts
:corn Please post a little more info. I've been wanting to do this for some time. Now I have all the stuff and the time to do it but a wiring diagram or more detailed instructions would be helpful. Thanks
</IMG>

·
#%^@$%^ Bike Thieves!
695 Posts

·
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used the following items for this mod:

1 Wire cutter/Crimper
1 Wire Stripper
1 Phillips Head Screw Driver
1 Allen Wrench
8 Wire Splicers
2 Wire Taps
1 ft. of 18 Grade Wire

Step One:

Remove the mid fairings, the plastic case over the air intake and the aux light cover.

Attachments

·
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Step Three:

Cut the two wires approx 2 inches from the quick connect. Cut the 1 ft. 18 gage wire in 4 equal lengths and splice 2 of them to the end of wires from the light. This will give you the extra lenth you need. Splice one of the wires to the BLUE wire off the quick connecter of the turn signal. Then wire tap into the GREEN (right side)/BROWN (left side) wire. I have red because I have the Greggs flushies.

PICS WILL COME TOMORROW WHEN I GET BACK HOME

·
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Step Four:

Do an ops check to see if they work correctly. Re-install the bulb, all the plastic covers and the fairing. End result should be

Please note that if you are not good with electronics that you should go pick up an extra fuse for the "oh crap" mistakes you might make. Also, I did this mod AFTER i installed the Greggs flushies, so your wires may differ in color. Good luck and hope this helped.

·
11,738 Posts
So let me get this straight in my head. You take the running light connector apart and cut the light side plug off and splice on more wire to reach the turn signal. (say it's red and black) hook the red to the spare blue on the turn signal and splice the black in with the green on each side?

·
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So let me get this straight in my head. You take the running light connector apart and cut the light side plug off and splice on more wire to reach the turn signal. (say it's red and black) hook the red to the spare blue on the turn signal and splice the black in with the green on each side?
That's pretty much correct, only that both wires are black (off the aux light). You splice one to the Blue wire on both sides, and tap into the GREEN wire on the right side, and the BROWN wire on the left side.

·
Rebel w/ a Cause
21,162 Posts
I knew I could get them to run as both a running light AND a turn signal. Just crimp them with the blue and brown (Left) and the blue and green (Right) wires. You'll have to tap into the green and brown wires if you're using Greggs turn signals. You'll also need about an extra foot of 18 Grade wire. I'll post a full write up tomorrow.

Awesome, i knew it was possible.
So you did it without a Relay??????????

Oh Nice write up will attempt soon!!!

1 - 20 of 441 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
440 Replies
108 Participants
WestSide_'10R1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing