Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
401 - 420 of 441 Posts

·
Speed limits = suggestions
22 Posts
Does anyone know what type of LED bulb is on the 2012 R1 side marker light. I've checked the manual, nothing...looked online for any kind of guidance, nothing. I think I've clicked through about 25 links claiming to say what type they are and no luck!

·
R1der
4,014 Posts
Does anyone know what type of LED bulb is on the 2012 R1 side marker light. I've checked the manual, nothing...looked online for any kind of guidance, nothing. I think I've clicked through about 25 links claiming to say what type they are and no luck!
i believe that the 2012 side light is already an led but it is not replacable. the led is soldered down on a board. thats why if you look at your headlight from the back, you will not see any type of cap/cover for the side light.

·
22 Posts
I had heard rumors of that being true, but then also on AandR motorsports that have the custom HID kit that has the replaceable LEDs for the side markers and if that were the case I was going to try and find some red or blue ones to replace it. So if they're not replaceable i can easily find the actual LEDs and just replace them and solder them myself. Thanks for the info.

·
R1der
4,014 Posts
I had heard rumors of that being true, but then also on AandR motorsports that have the custom HID kit that has the replaceable LEDs for the side markers and if that were the case I was going to try and find some red or blue ones to replace it. So if they're not replaceable i can easily find the actual LEDs and just replace them and solder them myself. Thanks for the info.
i see the AandR kit but i dont think they give you an actual led to replace, its just the t10 led i think. since the 09 and up have the same front i guess they think its the same thing. in the 09-11 (ithink) since they dont have that led strip like the 12, they can be replaced with normal t10 leds.

may i ask why you are changing the leds?

·
22 Posts
Just for a different visual effect. The ones currently are maybe like a 4300K look and I'd like to have a more blue, red or white look. I haven't actually looked at my bike in the last month because I hit a deer and it's been in the shop since. Even a red LED would look pretty sweet though.

·
R1der
4,014 Posts
Just for a different visual effect. The ones currently are maybe like a 4300K look and I'd like to have a more blue, red or white look. I haven't actually looked at my bike in the last month because I hit a deer and it's been in the shop since. Even a red LED would look pretty sweet though.
red led would also be illegal. im running red leds in my corner lights in my 06. havent gotten a problem yet. but you never know.

·
22 Posts

·
Play hard Ride harder
249 Posts
Red would look good. But might come at a coast, I had red in my 05 but got popped for them cop was on the rag and gave me a ticket for improper lighting... but every cop and every state is different but GL with your finding and decisions

·
When in doubt....throttle out
110 Posts
Can somebody please help me out....
I've read a million posts and tried to implement myself but I just can get it to work.

I have a 2012 with the LED running light. I also have greggs flush mounts with 3 wires.

Can somebody please explain or point to the post number which will allow me to keep the original running light on and the signal off until I use the turn signal at which point both would then begin to flash. Is this possible??

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,803 Posts
Can somebody please help me out....
I've read a million posts and tried to implement myself but I just can get it to work.

I have a 2012 with the LED running light. I also have greggs flush mounts with 3 wires.

Can somebody please explain or point to the post number which will allow me to keep the original running light on and the signal off until I use the turn signal at which point both would then begin to flash. Is this possible??

Thanks
Read the first page of this thread. Again... read the first page of this thread! :2bitchsla

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,631 Posts
The 2012 colors have not changed.
Left front signal is brown, running blue and ground black
Right front signal is green, running blue and ground is black

Posts 12, 13, and 14 should work for you in theory :dunno

·
110 Posts
The 2012 colors have not changed.
Left front signal is brown, running blue and ground black
Right front signal is green, running blue and ground is black

Posts 12, 13, and 14 should work for you in theory :dunno
Sorry, meant the colours have changed on the running light side but I guess I should be able to determine which is ground by testing and go from there.

Cheers

·
Hi ho siilllver
11 Posts
Hell yea! I knew it was possible to do this.
I'll be doing this soon since you can't see my flush mounts from the front at all

·
110 Posts
Tried this on the weekend.
All worked successfully but wow - the HID running light was at 50% brightness of stock (maybe less)
I have a 2012 R1 so not sure if this makes any difference but i basically put it all back to stock because it reduced the brightness so much.
Note i did the mod without a relay.
Is there a way to keep brightness the same (with or without relay) ?
thanks

401 - 420 of 441 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
440 Replies
108 Participants
WestSide_'10R1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing