Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Respect the R1
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have A 2003 R1 And Its In Storage For The Winter, And A Day Ago The Weather Here In Chicago Hit 60 So I Started It Up To Just Let It Run... It Ran For About 10 Min...at Idle To Warm Up And Then I Reved It A Bit Only To 4rpm Max And The Temp...showed 210 To 214 Before The Fans Turned On..
I Just Want To Know If That Sound About Right?

· Registered
59 Posts
dunno about '03 but on my '08, the fans kick in at 222F (106C).

If I start it and leave it idling, it will go all the way to 222F .. the fans kick in, bring it down to 204F (96C) and then the fans stop.

if i don't do anything, it goes back to 222F and repeats the cycle.

maybe the bike was near 200 when you rev'ed it.

· Super Moderator
22,568 Posts
Sounds about right. My '03 was the same.

· Respect the R1
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks guys.
then i guess its all good..i was just making sure because i changed the coolant for the winter...
and when i was working on my buddys infiniti g35 we had to drain the coolant to install his headers on the car...let me tell you it was such a bitch putting those headers on. there is no room in the car but after like a week and a good 24 hours of work we finished. but when we started it the heater was blowing cold air and the temp gauge rose alll the way to max temp as if it was over heating..after few hours of trying to get it to work ... i realized there must be air in the system and had to get it out because tat is wat is keeping the coolent from going threw the whole system..
so we fixed it..and im just asking to make sure tat is not happening on my bike

· Top Out R1 190 mph
153 Posts
Anybody know how to check the coolent (antifreeze) level? It says in the manual (pg: 3-18) that remove lower cowling, upper right cowling etc... I see the reservoir but its not see through able. Please help. I'm attaching the pic also so that u know what exactly i'm talking about.

Attachments

· Banned
11,225 Posts
As already stated your temps are within factory specs.

To lower them you can replace the OEM fan switch with a borg warner TFS500 unit! Exact same dimensions as OEM with the same connections. Turns on at 92c and off at 87C!

Use engine ice in the radiator. This combo should drop your average temps around 15 – 20 degrees.

· Go in deeper come out faster
6,413 Posts
+1 for water wetter...untill the winter. Right now my bike runs around 155-160 on the highway and 180-190 around town... I havn't heard the fan in 2 months.

· Registered
7,465 Posts
Anybody know how to check the coolent (antifreeze) level? It says in the manual (pg: 3-18) that remove lower cowling, upper right cowling etc... I see the reservoir but its not see through able. Please help. I'm attaching the pic also so that u know what exactly i'm talking about.
Thats not the reservoir its the radiator.. over by your brake resevoir behind the rear shock

So if its low how the F can you fill it? Looks like a real hard spot to get to.

· Top Out R1 190 mph
153 Posts
right side by the rear brake reservoir...
Thats not the reservoir its the radiator.. over by your brake resevoir behind the rear shock

So if its low how the F can you fill it? Looks like a real hard spot to get to.
Oh...ok. I see it. Just new to these super sport bikes...'ve been only dealing with 250cc until I got R1 and 600rr.

Thanks for the help.:)

· Go in deeper come out faster
6,413 Posts
lol another brake reservoir thread :lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.