Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wrecked my 2009 R1. Looks like insurance may total it out. Is it advisable to buy it back and repair it in my garage if I have never worked on a bike or engine of any kind before? I am mechanically minded and do minor car maintenance all the time, but never worked on a bike.

Looks like $8500 in OEM parts per mechanic's report.

~Sad Rider

·
An R1 kinda day!
253 Posts
Ask yourself this question ..... Can I screw it up any more than is is now, and / or do I have an opportunity to learn more about motorcycles than what I know?
If the answer is no then yes and you've got the cash for the stuff needed .....

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,402 Posts
That sucks. I would say rebuild it, but without any pictures, it’s hard to say. At that amount for the loss, I wouldn’t even bother rebuilding, unless you have an attachment.
I would follow this guy advice...;)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
There’s a guy on here who was in the military in Hawaii and dropped his off a mountain and did the same thing. He had the same generation R1 as well. I would get him in here and ask him about it if I were you. I’ll try to remember his name and post it here later.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
236 Posts
Do you have pictures? That would tell us a lot. I have rebuilt 2 09 R6’s, 1 06 R6s, 1 14 Street Triple R and a 98 TL1000R. All damage ranging from mild to wild, Salvage title and clean titles. I’m too cheap to buy brand new. You have to use your head ( not your heart ) when it comes to rebuilding. Think of it from a resale point of view.

1) When it comes time to sell, will you get your money back?

2) Are you prepared to negotiate if it has a Salvage title?

3) Are you truthful to the person buying your Salvage title bike? Do you tell them the full story on the crash? Same can be said of a “clean” wrecked bike.

Basically, what is the cost, verses benefit?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Depends on how you crashed it and what is broke. Any bike can be rebuilt, just depends on how much you're willing to spend.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
It really depends on how you crashed it and what's been damaged. If things are bent or cracked then you're in for a world of uncertainty and risk. Here in Australia the laws were changed in regards to written off bikes partly due to some of a particular year model gixxer being repaired after crashes, and the frames cracking and breaking after some time. Without knowing precisely how fast, how it was crashed, where the impacts are, and what was damaged... well, we can't help you figure out whether it's worth bothering with the time investment or taking the risk or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts