Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Did I do that?
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys have heard it a million times too but I am looking towards Synthetic Oil this season and wanted some input and to know if any of you guys are running it. A guy told me to run the 15w-50 Mobil1 Red cap. Said you can get it at any Wal-mart but I am a little iffy on using car oil.

Suggestions??

·
Yamaha or nothing.
304 Posts
don't know either way about that stuff, but you know you can't go wrong with YamaLube, just get their racing stuff if you want something extra special

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,588 Posts
i've been told that a full syntheitc is hash on a wet cluch like the R1s have..... i went with the Yamaha Lube Semi Synth....... And it was my Yamaha dealer that told me this...... but i like it... no complantes here

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Car oil is fine as long as it is not "Energy Conserving" oil.
The additives in Mobil 1 make it work well, and do not give it any adverse reactions with wet clutches.
There are some more additives in some oils than others (Amsoil is one of the best, nod to Eyespy), however for everyday riding the best thing you can do is CHANGE THE OIL!!!!!
regular oil and filter changes will do more for your bike than running the best possible oil.
Even a petroleum based oil is exceptional when new, it is only after it starts to break down from heat and combustions remains that it noticeably drops off.
To that effect, changing your oil more often, with less expensive oil will net you the same basic protection, for the same overall price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts