Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sanding metal clutch plates. has anyone here done this? what grit is best for this? i dont want my clutch to slip anymore.

·
Top Gun
2,582 Posts
Hey buddy my clutch on my R1 is slipping also.. and i was just gonna get a clutch kit for it like the graves one or maybe go with the OEM one again i dont know yet.... how does that work getting ur clutch plates done.. how much is it?? and where are u planning to get done.. tell me some about it if u dont mind ..

thanx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have new barnett fiber plates but i dont have cash for new steel plates. so i think if i run sandpaper over the steel plates they will grip better. i just dont know what grit to use. i also would like to add another spring plate is this posible?

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Don't use sandpaper, go get some steel wool. It works better anyway.
And you should "sand" them radially for best effect.
I usually use med fine steel wool, but anything other than a harsh pad will do. You could even use the ScotchBrite pads for this, but i would get the brown not the green ones.
Hope that helps ya!
Mike

·
Vendor
266 Posts
Thomas R1 said:
well i have new barnett fiber plates but i dont have cash for new steel plates. so i think if i run sandpaper over the steel plates they will grip better. i just dont know what grit to use. i also would like to add another spring plate is this posible?
You should check to see that your steel plates are in good condition before trying to save them. In most cases it is best to replace the steel with the fiber. The teeth that engage the steel plates to the inter hub get flat spots on them and they can warp. If you find that they are straight and the teeth are in good condition the have them glass beaded. The best steel plates are the stock ones, that’s what we use. Chuck

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
martinc said:
I"m using a wire wheel and I too buff the plates radially;

When lightly used,the wire wheel is a perfect way to "clean" the plates.

i"d recommend a new set of plates every other set of fibers.
I've never been good at "lightly" using a wire wheel....:(

hence my use of steel wool. i can control that, but power tools and me can be scary :crash

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks!

R1Budha said:
Don't use sandpaper, go get some steel wool. It works better anyway.
And you should "sand" them radially for best effect.
I usually use med fine steel wool, but anything other than a harsh pad will do. You could even use the ScotchBrite pads for this, but i would get the brown not the green ones.
Hope that helps ya!
Mike
thanks for the tips! they are looking very nice now.:D

·
I Love My R1!!!
164 Posts
i agree with R1budha, good luck with lightly using a wire wheel...lol, i used to resurface the steels in my honda all the time with 400 grit sandpaper, wet sand them!!!, but like r1budha said, i'd check them for warpage before going to much work, go light with the sandpaper otherwise your get clutch chatter if they aren't the same thickness around.....good luck!!, i'd just order new steels/clutch fibers if i were you, but i know how the $buck$ don't stretch sometimes too though!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts