Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Searching for Greener Pastures
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the arguements (I seemed to be losing:lol ) about the merits of SATA vrs. standard ATA, I decided to go through some of my old mags and see if I could find any more info.

I came across a speed test in the March issue of Maxximum PC that rated a SATA vrs 133ATA. The results I found surprising. The standard ATA had higher numbers in 5 of the hard drive benchmarks and tied on the other one. So what is the big deal with SATA?

It seems it has a POTENTIAL of higher throughputs especially when the speed gets boosted from 150Mbps to 300Mbps in '04. Unfortunately, current harddrives can't physically supply data to the pipeline.

Basically if you have a current ATA drive, you will get no performance gain by going SATA. The only advantages are airflow (unless you are using round cables) and ease of installation (especially RAID configurations).

:dunno

·
Searching for Greener Pastures
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS Seagate claims they should have seen higher numbers if they had proper drivers/controller card for the SATA. Unfortunately the numbers stand as measured.

·
I eat my R1
1,069 Posts
Sorry but my SATA 2 drive 10k rpm raids will spank anything short of Ultra320 or very large 160 raids and for a small fraction of the price.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Been doing some test of my own and found the newer SATA drives quite a bit faster. This is with a 7200rpm 8mb cache sata with the converter chip that most will have (excluding the WD raptor and the like). Speed improvement wasn't enough to warrant paying double the price but 20-30$ dollars more than ide maybe.
I will post the findings when done.
Also looking for a 10k rpm sata drive to test as well. I couldn't see paying twice the price for 1/3 of storage for them just yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts