Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Pit Boss
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

I am new to the forum.
I have a red 02 R1 in Bay Area, CA.
I think I will get the Sato slip-on from Dan as soon as it is available, Sato says end of this month.

Scud, you deal with Dan to do custom map for free is awesome...too bad I am not getting a Devil.

· Pit Boss
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
still waiting.
They are finished with the mid pipe, but still developing the cannister. Sato tells me 3 more weeks.
Dan Kyle Racing has agreed to use my bike to create a custom map when it comes in.

A popular RC51 website http://www.rc51.org raves about Sato exhausts. It showed great gains for RC51's, we will wait to see what it does for R1...I am hoping for gains of about 144-145 bhp with a very healty midrange.
These guys seem to do alot of development with mid-pipe diameter, canister core size and length.
Their parent company in Japan is Baby Face Japan.

· Registered
41 Posts
O.k. fine on that. Got an e-mail from SATO Japan but they didnt reply so far on the availability. However this pipe looks so much nicer than all the other slip-ons I have seen so far and I am looking extensively for months now! AKRA comes close but I would give it an 8 from 10 whereas the SATO would get a 10. The Sato really makes one unit with the 2002 YZF-R1. So there are 2 slip-on alternatives:

1. Sato slip-on

2. Akrapovic slip-on

Keep us posted how the progress is at your end.

Thanks.

P.S. Others dont get mad at me - what one likes best is always a matter of personal taste!

· Registered
41 Posts
SATO did not respond to my request anymore when I asked them WHEN to expect delivery so I decided to go for an AKRAPOVIC slip-on system.
Now back from the holidays and found a nice package with the AKRA slip-on for the 2002 R1 which I ordered a week ago.

Perfect craftmanship, looks great, sounds great (whoever said the slip on is not loud should listen without earplugs and helmet - let your buddy drive by keep it at 7000 rp/m and up and I promise your ears will fall off!!). However the sound is pleasant and deep at normal rpm.

And most important: the torque and maximum hp seem to be improved but I have to dyno it to be sure and make an objective statement. The backwheel starts to spin sooner and it seems to rev up faster and smoother.

All in all best buy I can think of AND it is deliverable.

Go and get yours today!

· Pit Boss
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jolly Roger,

Good for you, Akro is a great unit, excellent power gains from what I hear.

As for me, I am still waiting.:no

They tell me a few more days, actually the US shipment got stuck in customs in Southern California.

I will post pics when I get it installed.:p

· MV = SEX ON WHEELS
13 Posts
From all that I have read the Sato's are a quality exhaust. Of course you can never go wrong with an Akro, but it's your decision. If Sato would make their name plate a bit better looking, I'm sure they would sell more of them.....it's way ugly!

· Pit Boss
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i agree the badge is kind of funny, maybe thats why some people don't put it on since it is a sticker.

But I have some news, Sato slip-on for 2002 will be available at Laguna, but after all the talking up of Sato I did, I made a last minute decision last night to go for the gusto and get a full system, thus I picked up the full ti Arata from my favorite speed shop, kyle racing, last night.

Although i still like the look of the Sato better, I could not ignore the power difference. The Arata dynoed 150.6 bhp, and 79.5 torque with custom PCIIIr map. Even slightly more than a Gixxer1000 with Akro that Dan dynoed at 150.0 bhp, granted the gixxer still accelerates harder...at least we can brag peak numbers...at least for now.

I will finish the install tonight...didn't have the right tools last night. I am very happy with the quality...perfect welds, tapered headers, crossover pipe, and tapered s-bend. I am told that tapered headers emphasized peak hp, while the crossover pipe and tapered s-bend emphasizes mids, to produce a overall good package.

Very loud, what do you expect from a race can with almost a 2 1/2 " baffle.

it is only below the stock curve at 100% trottle between 2000-3000 rpm...but when will you EVER be at 100% trottle at that rpm. otherwise it makes GAINS everywhere else.

I can't wait to test it out tonight.:jump

· R1 POW POW POWER!!!!
20 Posts
Full Ti Arata!!!

Well brother, you just made up my mind!!!:rock I just spoke to Dan Kyle today from the shop I work at, Freewheeling Cycle. I'm going with the Full Ti arata tomorow!!!!! I had a full Graves on my 01 and I loved the shit out of it, but it's time to think outside the box:rock Theres nothing worse than pulling into the local hangout, and seeing ten bikes hooked up just like yours.:ugh Iv'e never seen or heard it but after talking to dan and your volume input, I don't believe I will be sorry. Thanx for the help!!!!:boobies

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.