Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last Friday while getting ready to leave my house to go to work I shifted my bike (2005 Yamaha R1) into first gear. While not riding my motorcycle or exerting a lot of pressure on the clutch pedal, all of a sudden my left foot hit the ground and I noticed that the bolt that links the clutch pedal and the clutch linkage sheared off. I have had the rearsets on for 1.5 years now, no other problems, so was sorta amazed this happened...Anyways, I emailed Sato, they said this was the first time they have heard of this happening, and that it could have been caused by overtightening the bolt, but who knows. They were nice, and shipped a new bolt pretty quick.

Anyways, if you have Sato rearsets, might want to check the bolt that sheared off on mine. Here are some pics so you can see what I am talking about.

Attachments

·
performance first
2,940 Posts
Actually i had almost the same thing happen to me 2 years ago with my satos. Mine was the small linkage to the big linkage the bolt backed out and fell off and I was stuck in 5th gear soming home. they emailed me a new one right away. i forgot to loctite it and since have replace everybolt with a titanium one and loctite it with the blue. I have an 05 r1 myself.:)

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
wow! you have a 'clutch pedal'?..... i only have a gear lever.:(............j.k

·
I hate criminals
1,749 Posts
Actually i had almost the same thing happen to me 2 years ago with my satos. Mine was the small linkage to the big linkage the bolt backed out and fell off and I was stuck in 5th gear soming home. they emailed me a new one right away. i forgot to loctite it and since have replace everybolt with a titanium one and loctite it with the blue. I have an 05 r1 myself.:)
Me too. I don't remember what broke but I know that I ended up replacing all their bolts with better ones.

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Pretty cool of them to send you a new bolt.

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
That's one poor design for that bolt! You should never have threads in a shear plane (2 surfaces trying to slide against each other). The shank (the part that has no threads) should go all the way through the assembly of parts except for the last part before the threads start for the washer & nut. I would go get a bolt with the proper length shank and cut to fit. Preferably grade 12 bolt. Should solve you problem! ACE hardware carries them.

·
performance first
2,940 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.