Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Scala Rider Q2 Review

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  saagz87 
#1 ·
I finally got out for a ride on my new R1. I also was able to try out my new helmet bluetooth system. I was actually suprised how well this thing works. If anyone is looking for a bluetooth system for their helmet I would highly reccomend this thing! Call quality was awesome. I could hear clearly up to about 65-70 mph. After that the sound became muffled and hard to hear due to wind noise. The person I was talking to said they could hear me very clearly and would never know I was on a motorcycle. The Q2 also has a aux input for listening to music but I don't plan to use that while riding. I played my MP3 through the speakers at my house though and the quality is pretty good besides lacking bass. Definitly worth the $85 I spent on the unit from ebay. The installation into my helmet was a breeze as well. If you want to listen to music while you ride I reccomend the Q2 Pro as it has the newer bluetooth system that allows you to play your MP3 through a bluetooth signal, thus getting rid of the wire. I did a lot of searching before I bought this and was unable to find much info on bluetooth setups for helmets. If anyone has any questions let me know and I would be happy to answer them for you.

#8 ·
I have been using them for about 2 years or more. Passenger or rider to rider is great. I use mine everytime I ride for the radio. I just got done riding texas over the weekend and couldnt have been happier. It will stream gps directions through my phone through the headset which was great since I dont have a GPS mount. I have been extremely happy with the unit. I use to have chatterboxes and the wind noise was horrible comapred to the q2's.

#10 ·
The actual box is pretty small. You can either stick it to your helmet or use a clamp. The clamp works great so that is what I used. The mic tucks into the helmet and you can adjust it to wherever you want. I was going to but the optional mic that has a cord instead of the built in flexi mic but it actually works really well with a full face helmet. The battery is really great as well. I haven't had to recharge mine since I got it! I will try and snap some pics of my helmet later in the week so you can see what it looks like. Two of my friends bought Chatterbox units at the same time and they both sold them for Q2's after they tried mine out...

#15 ·
can you compare these to the g4 at all? Now that the wife has a bike I thought the intercom would be a good idea...and I'm tired of wires to the helmet for my mp3 player.

#16 ·
The G4 is a little different. The intercom works between 3 people at once, instead of having to switch between people like you have to with the Q2, and it bluetooths your music instead of having to plug in the stupid wire that gets caught on your jacket every time you turn your head. I think the radio might be a little better in it too. My dad and I have a set of Q2s, and it works out great, especially when you put someone on the back thats never been on a bike before. I even brought them to the motocross track the other day with my buddy.. we didn't talk much but the random screams came through loud and clear! Anyone know if you can link a G4 with a Q2?

#17 ·
Yes, the Q2 will pair up with the G4 for intercom use. Two of my friends have the G4 now and I can link up with them. I also took this off the Cardo Systems site:

The Scala Rider G4 is compatible with all Scala Rider headsets for intercom communication except the Passenger unit of the Scala Rider TeamSet. When connected to a separate G4, the intercom range is 1 mile; with a Q2, the range is 1,640 feet; with the Solo, FM and Teamset Driver's units, the range is limited between driver and pillion only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.