Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I posted this in the group buy section for the Scorpio alarm but don't know if that thread still gets any traffic so I'm posting it here. Sorry for the double post.

I just got my Scorpio alarm system and it looks great! Along with it, I ordered the wiring harness for the '03 R1. The problem is I can't find any wire under the seat where the "bullet" connectors from the harness would connect to . It's suppose to be plug-n-play, but I can't figure out where to plug it into. I was told that I should find something on the kickstand side near the subframe but I can't seem to locate it.

Pictured below is the wiring harness for the '03 R1 I got from Scorpio. After talking with them for bit, they said it's the wrong wiring harness but I should still find the bullet connectors on the bike. I know the green connector connects up to the alarm unit but the other wires are a mystery to me.

Sorry for the long post. I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. Can anybody help??? Pics maybe??

Thanks!
-Moto

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Your plug and play should be YAM-6, it's the one I got for my 04 and it's the same as 03. It's not installed yet, but the only thing i could suggest is: the bullets connect to either the flashers or the tail light ( don't remember wich one and i'm too lazy to read the instructions) so I would start from the flashers (or tail light) and fallow the wire until I get to the bullet.

·
Blue is faster!
305 Posts
Mine says yam-1 also. So I called them to see why the instructions said yam-6 for the 04 R1. He said that it is the right one they just didn't cross out the 1. Is the wiring harnest the same as your Jside?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses!

Well after much consulting with Scorpio, it turns out that the connector is actually "in" the tail section. (ie between the tray and the undertail/side of tail). They said that it doesn't require removing the tail section and that you can wiggle the connector out by tugging on the wire under the seat.

Unfortunately because I put a Next undertail, I probably have to remove the tail anyways. And because I had the cut the yamaha connector off and put a new connector for the undertail, the YAM-1 connector will not work even though it is the correct harness. Best scenario is for me to cut the bullet connectors off the Yam-1 and attach a new connector that will mate with the undertail connectors.

YeahI finally sent a digi photo of the YAM-1, and they turned around and said that, in fact, it's the correct one.

A little more work than plug-n-play but still worth it. I'll try to post pics but it probably won't be for another week before I get to it.

Good luck!

·
The Blue One's are FASTER!!!!
2,467 Posts
I know what the ones circles in yellow are for, to be put in line with the turn signals, but what are the ones I circled in blue for?:dunno I do not recall any seperate blade connectors in the back of the bike. Also how does connecting to the rear turn signal lights make the front ones flash too?:dunno My alarm is on the way for a 2001. How long did it take to get your orders? I want my alarm!:cryin

·
The Blue One's are FASTER!!!!
2,467 Posts
Forgot pic.:2bitchsla

Attachments

·
An R1 a day keeps Dr. away
185 Posts
bluer101 said:
Forgot pic.:2bitchsla
You have to bite the turnsignals cable with the spliting thingy that you see on the bag, then the blade connector inserts into the spliting "thingy"....

·
Registered
373 Posts
:iamwithst there's also an adaptor in the box that uses 4 crimping thingys. (It's what you would use if you didn't purchase the plug & play adapter).

I'm guessing that the front flashers wont work, the keyword being GUESSING, I can confirm that later this week when I finally receive my blue beauty.

For the shipping, I ordered mine on Feb 5 and I received it on Feb 18. Keep in mind that I live in Canada, it should be quicker for you. And they didn't rape me with the shipping, they charged me the $15 they are charging to ship to the states :thumbup

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, here are my conclusions. If anybody else thinks differently, please let me know.

I think my trouble stems from a couple basic assumptions I made. First I assumed that the tail section can stay on if I purchased the Yam-1/6 connector. Not true, the tail section has to come off I can't see accessing those bullet connectors otherwise.

The second assumption I made was that the instructions are correct. I think they're slightly off but I guess in the end, it doesn't matter. The first mistake I noticed was that the brown wire is actually the left turn signal and the green wire is actually the right turn signal. Opposite of what the instructions have but it doesn't really matter which is which because either gray wire can tap into either signal.

The second mistake (at least I believe it was), is that the instructions say to use the bullet connectors on the Yam-1/6 to connect to the bullet connectors on the light and ground going to the taillight. The only bullet connectors on the bike are the ground and light for the license plate light so I have to assume they meant that.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm right. I haven't tested my theory because of time and I'm hoping there is somebody out there who went through the same thing that can confirm or deny my observations.

Thanks!
-Moto

·