Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scorpio...ignition kill....which wire & install instructions

Okay, I've got everything installed except the ignition kill. In the instructions, it recommends cutting the ground to the ignition module (ie ECU) which they say is a black wire. My question is, which black wire? I see at least 3 or 4 black wires with stripes/markings but none are solid black.

Also, talking with Scorpio, they said that it's not a black wire but the red wire with a black stripe.

Can anybody verify/clarify this for me?? I don't wanna cut the wrong wire.

Thanks!
-Moto

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had the same problem last night, The only wire that would work was blue (must be a sign) but mine is an 04. The technician did mention a red wire with black stripe but I couldn't find any that would do the job.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I know it wont help you but it may help someone else with an 04 there are three wire in that connection, two are blue, one is solid blue thats the one I used to install the anti hi-jack device.

Attachments

·
The Blue One's are FASTER!!!!
2,467 Posts
I got all mine hooked up, except I did not order the ignition kill.:fact

The install was easy just now the thing just does not work right or the siren is not loud enough. The beep from the remote is 3 times louder than the siren.:rant I will be calling them to send it back, what crap.:mad: Have not had it hooked up for more than 5 hours and already no good. You can barely hear the siren going off when the tail section is off and when you put the section on you can't hear it. WTF!!!!:rant

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess fortunately I got everything else working. Seems to work like a charm. Sorry to hear you've got this problem bluer101. Hopefully I can get an answer on which wire to cut for the ignition kill....AAAARUGH!!! So close yet so far! :)

-Moto

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank Martinc for looking it up! I dropped by, yet, another dealership and they were kind of scratching their heads too. But at least they pulled out there manuals to make an attempt to help unlike another dealership. :)

I decided, if anything, I was going to try the method posted in the following link:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16360&highlight=alarm

I saw the link before and was hesitant because it was different from the directions that came with the alarm and the instructiions in the link was for a different alarm in itself. This time I figure, I had nothing to lose really, other than time, since it didn't require cutting any factory wiring.

Well as it turned out, it worked out great!!! Needless to say, I'm a happy camper!! I appreciate everybody's help!! Especially Martinc who went out of his way to research it and Todd for posting great instructions!!!

Hopefully it won't die on me in the middle of riding. Eheheh.
Thanks again!!!
-Moto

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looks like somebody beat me to the how-to! :) I will post anyways only because I have an '03 R1 and I didn't access anything under the tank. If anybody has questions/suggestions, feel free to post!

Scorpio i500 FM 2-Way Security System Specification

Specification:
2-way FM Transceiver
Alphanumeric LCD display with backlight
Ultra low power drain Main Control Module (MCM)
Buil-in Analog Devices ADXL202 accelerometer
ignition protection
Range Confirmation Signal (RCS)
Remote Sensor control
Battery safeguard with "sleep mode"
Clock w/ alarm
Violation display iwht time stamp
Passive arming
Selectable arming/disarming
Automatic reset
Flahsing lights with memory display
Long range paging transmitter
Programmable multi-tone siren
Selectable siren duration
Arming confirmation
Low battery indication
Remote panic feature
Soft chirp arming

Optional Accessories:
Perimeter Sensor
Ignition disable and anti-hijack kit
Back-up battery transmitter
Factory Connector Kit

Components shipped: (sorry no pics but can be seen here http://www.2wheelife.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=857&highlight= )
Remote Transceiver
Main Control Module (MCM)
Generic Installation Kit (Gen-1) - to be used if you did not purchase the Connector Kit.
Accessory Harness - for the perimeter sensor and/or ignition disable
Main Harness (HAR-1)
Yamaha '03 R1 Connector Kit (YAM-1/YAM-6)
Perimeter Sensor
Ignition disable and anti-hijack module
Back-up battery - built into MCM

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scorpio i500 FM 2-Way Security System Installation - tail removal

I've been told that the tail does not have to be removed to access the wires necessary to install the alarm. My understanding is that one can wiggle the connectors out. It is located on the left hand side of the tail section. Personally, where I was planning to install the alarm required to take off the tail anyway, so that is what I went with.

- remove rider seat and passenger seat
- remove two plastic screws under rider's seat near tank
- remove two metal screws under passenger seat near tail section
- remove front (closest to tank) two pop-rivets (on either side) under the tail
- remove rear two pop-rivets under tail
- remove middle two pip-rivets (by removing the other ones first, this should allow you to easily reach the pop-rivets by hand.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Scorpio i500 FM 2-Way Security System Installation - MCM Placement

I put the MCM on the right hand side of the subframe where the fattest part of the tail section would be. I did two things. I cut out two mouse pads to protect the MCM from vibrating too much and to protect the subframe from scratches. I then used zip ties to fasten the MCM to the subframe. Also, in the instructions, it recommends that the unit be placed somewhere flat and somewhere easily accessible so that when you disconnect the battery you can disconnect the connector on the MCM. (thanks bluer101)

The left connector, which you see something plugged into, is for wiring up to the R1 and the right is for the accessories. The accessory connector eventually splits into two: one for the optional iginition disable and the other for the optional perimeter sensor.

The antenna, that you see bundled to the left of the unit, I stretched out the back of the tail section between the undertail and the trunk tray. They say, for best, results not to put it near metal but heck, there's metal all over the bike! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scorpio i500 FM 2-Way Security System Installation - MCM Wiring

I purchased the Factory Connector Kit for the R1. The part number is either Yam-1 or Yam-6. Both are correct. It should look like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Scorpio i500 FM 2-Way Security System Installation - MCM Wiring (cont)

On the left hand side of the bike, you will see two sets of wires. One set goes to the tail light, the other goes to the signals and license plate light. You want to attach the YAM-1/YAM-6/GEN-1 to this group of wires.

On the R1, disconnect the blue wire (going to the license plate light) and use the bullet connectors to connect the orange wire, on the YAM-1, in between. If the YAM-1/YAM-6 was not purchased, you can just use the similarly colored GEN-1 wire to tap into the blue wire.

On the R1, disconnect the black (ground) wire (going to the license plate light) and use the bullet connectors, on the YAM-1, to connect the black wire in between. If the YAM-1/YAM-6 was not purchased, you can just use the black colored GEN-1 wire to tape into the black wire.

On the R1, use the female T-tap connector to tap into the brown wire (right turn). Slip the male gray wire with T-tap connector, on the YAM-1 into the female T-tap connector.

On the R1, use the female T-tap connector to tap into the green wire (left turn). Slip the male gray wire with T-tap connector, on the YAM-1 into the female T-tap connector.

Attachments

·
2,467 Posts
I was going to mount mine there, but the directions says it should not be mounted with the siren facing left or right which will make the tilt sensor less effective.:fact Also if you decide to disconnect the battery to service the bike you need to get the the plug to disconnect it.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
(cont)

Once the wiring has been completed. Plug the green 4 pin connector on the YAM-1/YAM-6/GEN-1 into the white 4 pin connector on the HAR-1.

Connect the black wire with the fuse and ring terminal to the battery positive.

Now connect the main harness (HAR-1) into the left connector (pictured above) of the MCM.

Attachments

·
2,467 Posts
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
(cont).

I ran the wiring from one end of the bike to the other under the rider seat.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts