Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
15,446 Posts
ricardo said:

I have had scottoilers in my past bikes, but i am a bit nervous about installing one on my r1.

Martinc, does oil ever get on your rear tire? Do you turn it off when hitting twisties?

Ricardo
not at all...

you find the perfect setting(which is around 1/4 open for me) and all is great.

had the oil on tire problem at first,but a carefull installation/orientation of the delivery tube cured it.

· Registered
15,446 Posts
just make sure to not cut the clear plastic feed tube before all is installed;
and their stick-on retaining plates dont work very well,you can add a dab of superglue to them before install.

make sure the routing of the clear plastic tube behind the wheel is such that it wont get cut by the tire edge...

· XLR8
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The scottsoiler is fantastic! :rock

The only part of the installation that was difficult was figuring out what the hell a "vaccum source" was. I search around the web and found a number of different installation instructions for the scottsioiler and figured it out. That is the tuffest part. All other steps were a piece of cake.

Total time of installation was 3 hours. Why so long...I f##ked up re-installing my gas tank, got the tubes all wrong. No big deal, but my bike did make an awful sucking sound when I turned the key. I corrected the error and viola.

No more being bothered with oiling the chain!

Martinc was right, I'll never own another bike without one.

· Registered
15,446 Posts
ricardo said:

Just bought a scottoiler, Martin do you know where to install the vacum from the scottoiler in the R1? Do you need to remove the airbox to get the vacum source?

Ricardo
no,you just take off one of the allen screws in the cylinder,just below the carbs;there"s one below each carbs.

dont try to screw the small adaptor too much,its a npt adaptor,meaning its tapper and will get harder and harder to screw the deeper it gets.

· Registered
233 Posts
you know what was wierd?

When I had my tank off, and was deciding which cylinder to put the fitting in, I noticed that the leftmost one (as you are on the bike) already has a fitting of some type in it, and the tube heads down towards the oil filter or somewhere.

I ended up going for the #4 (furthest right one if you are on the bike) and the space is still all cramped, even with the tank off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.