Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a akrapovic evo. I did not put the coolant back in before I started it to hear the new system thinking it would be okay to run for a little bit (still had some water/coolant in system). Well bad move...bike did not overheat but went up to 232 and the header pipes were glowing red. The engine did not technically overheat (only 232) when I shut it off. Stupid on my part but all this happened in about 1 minute. I was wondering if I hurt the akra system. Pipes are purple at the two into one section and forward. Should I redo the ceramic grease.

Thanks for any input

Attachments

·
Faster than sh*t!!!
841 Posts
Are you serious...alll I have to ask is whatthe hell were you thinking? I don't know if you hurt anything but ......wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyy???????:confused: :no

·
Off Topic mod
11,194 Posts
I am going to say that there is nothing wrong with it. The pipes are glowing because they got hot as hell but I would not sweat it too much. Even with coolant in the radiator the pipes will glow red since there is not wind to cool them down.
Dont make a habit of it though :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jd21476 said:
Are you serious...alll I have to ask is whatthe hell were you thinking? I don't know if you hurt anything but ......wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyy???????:confused: :no
this all happened in less than one minute. too anxious to hear it. I had not drained the system just some came out the hose when i moved radiator forward. I know I did not hurt the motor just was wondering about exhaust

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any reccomendations on minimum upgrades to utilize the exhaust system other than the PCIII obviously. What about the PCIIIR. What does the R denote?

·
Off Topic mod
11,194 Posts
sportnR1 said:
Any reccomendations on minimum upgrades to utilize the exhaust system other than the PCIII obviously. What about the PCIIIR. What does the R denote?
The R model allow for the adjustment of the ignition timming :)

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
You could put a BoxR or Graves ram air box on the bike. I put the full graves, BoxR and the TFI box and ended up with a 19.8hp gain at the wheels. Everyone says that the PCIIIR is better than the TFI, but I was very pleased with the numbers I increased.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Oh yeah, buy a steering damper if you do not already have one. You should have put that on before the exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts