Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Squid'o'tron
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does everyone break in their new tires. I just mounted a new 180 on my bike and it seems my technique of laying the bike down and watching it spin like a top is working, but my back is hurting from picking the bike back up to repeat the exercise.:cryin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im lucky, I have a road right by my place that I can scrub my tires to the edge on, and scuff up my pucks as well :)

I guess you dont have many roads like that in Florida though.

·
Squid'o'tron
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KneeDragr said:
Im lucky, I have a road right by my place that I can scrub my tires to the edge on, and scuff up my pucks as well :)

I guess you dont have many roads like that in Florida though.
Actually there are quite a few places to get the bike all the way over as well, but my problem is when I lean the bike over the bike wants slide around like its on ice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ooo, thats not good. Are you running the stock D208 tires? Ive heard nothing but bad things about them. I yanked them before I took the bike out of the dealership.

·
What time is it? ^^
78 Posts
dairyman is there for the good advice, you can count on him :)

·
I am allergic to stupidity!
271 Posts
Use that goo gone stuff takes the resin from the process off the tire. I never liked the 208's. Seemed a little too hard, always had a habit of slipping to me. Never liked the 207's either, but I think the 207's were better than the 208's.

·
your mom looks hot
121 Posts
one gentle lap on the track and your tires are scrubbed -another lap for heat and you're good to go.

as for street scrubbing, you just slowly incresing lean-angle, preferably on dry, rough road surface. you can even use a big parking lot if you're in a hurry.

you don't need to do anything to the tire beforehand; that'd be a waste of time. ride it carefully for the first 5-10 miles and that's it.

D208s are perfectly good rubber. don't fall into the tire trap by overthinking your rubber. good racers can lap within1-2 seconds on street tires as their race tires.

if you're going that fast on the street that grip is an issue, you're going too fast and you're going to crash hard.:2bitchsla

·
Registered
607 Posts
if it is the rear wheel, it is normally the case of just riding home which is around 5-10km or riding to work then home which is around 20km

if it is the front, i take it a bit easier.. and when i get into corners i just take it gradually lower into a corner scrubbing off the shiny stuff

·
Super Moderator
21,686 Posts
With your bike on the rear stand and in first gear take a wire
brush and hold it on the rear tire while it's spinning. This will take
all the chemicals and waxes offf. After that just take the bike for
a easy ride then increase your leans a little at a time.

·
Ah the joys of the twisties
1,771 Posts
Skeeter said:
With your bike on the rear stand and in first gear take a wire
brush and hold it on the rear tire while it's spinning. This will take
all the chemicals and waxes offf. After that just take the bike for
a easy ride then increase your leans a little at a time.
Something similar,put it on a stand 1st gear and then take sand paper to the edges job done.:thumbup

·
Local Hooligan
321 Posts
HAHAHAHA! you guys just do that to get rid of your chicken strips ,eh? That's funny stuff. Just ride it and don't go slow and low. find yourself a nice sweeper and go back and forth on it a little faster and lower each time, you scrub em and get used to em at the same time...

·
Shut up and ride
2,359 Posts
Do burn outs until they catch on fire....J/K

I like the riding break in method myself. I don't see why people feel the urge to break in their tires within the first 5 mins:dunno It only takes a little riding and they are good to go. Unless you just bought them, put them on at the track and want to do a fast run......:dunno

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
battlehatch said:
HAHAHAHA! you guys just do that to get rid of your chicken strips ,eh? That's funny stuff. Just ride it and don't go slow and low. find yourself a nice sweeper and go back and forth on it a little faster and lower each time, you scrub em and get used to em at the same time...
Exactly! When was the last time you ever saw a race team putting a wire brush to a new tire? Never! Just ride the damn thing and take it easy for a while!

·
wheres the aux rev limiter?
882 Posts
I ALWAYS use a wire brush or sand paper to get rid of my chi, ah I mean scrub my tires in!

·
wheres the aux rev limiter?
882 Posts
another neat trick is to use coarse grit on your foot pegs! gives you that knee drager look! simply awesome.

·
Local Hooligan
321 Posts
Oh tape your knee pucks to your soles of your boots and let your feet drag... I seen this one kid put his bike on a rear stand and take a belt sander to his tires... All bad, I feel that you need to earn the right to no chicken strips... I still got little tiny ones on mine, I can admit it. I just don't see getting that low on public roads at this time of year...

·
Bulldogger
5,880 Posts
:lol He said use sandpaper or a wire brush:lol

·
WKid's One
82 Posts
Just ride the bloody thing. Never ever bothered with scrubbing in tires sans riding on them.

·
smokin the road up on an 01 R1
1,726 Posts
Breaking your tire in: like everyone else said just take it easy and slowly increase your lean angles.

Getting rid of chicken strip: RIDE YOUR R1 LIKE ITS AN R1:finger

1 - 20 of 22 Posts