Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Horror movie know-it-all
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm recovering my buddy's seat.
I got the material, cut it out, but i am having problems stapling it.
The staples just don't seem to want to go into the plastic.
So far i've tried a regular staple gun and a electric one.
And i can't find an air one that will shoot small staples.

Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
373 Posts
The way I did it with my motocross seats, I would use a regular stapler (It wouldn't get all the way in) and after a would use a pair of electrician pliers (you know, the big square ones) and use the end of the pliers to push the staple all the way in. The first ones are kind of tricky but thats the best way I found yet.

·
Horror movie know-it-all
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn..i didn't try that.
I tried hammering them in..but they came out.
I'll give it a try 2night.

Dude...i see you got 04' in the profile...did you receive it yet?
I haven't seen them at the dealers around town yet.
Good to see another montreal rider on here.

·
HighRider
699 Posts
I have the article at home how to do it, when do you need to finish it? If you can't wait, you might want to try Jside's instructions. What kind/size of staples are you using?

·
Horror movie know-it-all
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm using same size as the ones that i took off.
If you have any info that would help, you could send it to me.
i'm gonna try JSide's trick tonight and see.

·
HighRider
699 Posts
Nice bike Jside. Johnny, let me know if you get the seat squared away tonight, I'll get the article to you tomorrow if not.

·
www.alloutgraphics.com
277 Posts
I recovered my seat. At first the staples would not go all the way through with a staple gun. so I did a few things and got it to work.
When you are stapleing make sure you apply lots or pressure on the staple gun. I would pretty much lean my body on it. Make sure your seat is on a good hard surface. You dont want the table surface to give any when you are trying to staple it. So I would put my seat at the edge of a table when I did it.

·
Horror movie know-it-all
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also have that mastercraft stapler..which helps a bit because you push down over the area the staples come out.
I tried the pliers on a little section..seems like it's gonna work.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i have no problems with mine. but i do work in an upholstery shop. we own 3 pnupatic guns and 2 electric. the pnumatic ones are like 100 and will shoot 1/2 staples all the way through, but you will feal it on the other side. our 2 electric guns are the same but at $300 each. its a standard Dufast gun used in the carpet industry. not sure of a better way, if you wana come all the way to MI your welcome to use a gun... :p

·
Horror movie know-it-all
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK..all done.
Worked out OK Jside.
Thanks for all the help guys
It was red before (Kawasaki Z1000), now it's black:

·
HighRider
699 Posts
Good job on the seat, glad it worked out.. BTW the article didn't even mention staples being replace, only taken out....Bastiges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts