Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
the Green Bastard
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a few weeks ago, before the forum went through it's "down period" I made a thread looking for testimonial from owners of the Ducati 1098. I was considering trading in my 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R, which I loved. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Kawasaki. But...some how I ended up pondering making the jump and giving the Ducati a try. There are a ton of opinions when it comes to the Duck. Some good...some bad. But that's the same with anything.

I decided to pull the trigger and got rid of the 10R. It took a few weeks to get the 1098 I ordered in. I went for a red, 2008, base model. The S would have been nice, but I was already spending more than I had ever spent on a motorcycle before, and I thought the standard would do just fine. I picked it up saturday and rode it home in the dark. I would have to wait till Sunday to get out and really experience what the Ducati had to offer.

It's not normal to have 65 degree days in November in Colorado, so I was thanking my lucky stars that I had a decent chance to get out on the new bike. It's 180 degrees from what I'm used to with the Kawasaki. Even taking it moderately easy and breaking the bike in, you can tell the power, torque and short gearing will be extremely entertaining. I don't anticipate missing the 15-20 hp that I've given up, in any way shape or form. I've heard that the handling out of the box on the 1098 can be a bit odd, but mine seems to be fantastic. once you're line is set, it's as if you could take both hands off the bars and it would ride itself around the rest of the turn. The brakes are absolutely insane. They really are scary.

At this point, I'm 100% happy with my decision to try something different. I'm falling in love with the Ducati already. Reliability and maintenance remain unproven as I've only put about 250 miles on the bike so far. But assuming things go smoothly, I don't anticipate anything worse than any of the other bikes I've owned.

Yeah yeah...enough babble...here are a few pics...

Oh hell I guess I should throw in a pic of the old dog she replaced...I owe her that much... :lol

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Looks great man. Congrats on your new baby!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
triple clamp ugly...swingarm...really ugly...

and that last pic is too... take off everything fromt he ehxaust down and that would be sexy

·
I R1. U R1??
221 Posts
nice bike man. hope you get to really enjoy it at least a little before winter sets in.

·
fast
3,614 Posts
damn...i hate u....jealous......
congrats on your new bike....i still love ur zx10 than your duc....

·
my R1 is inside of you
275 Posts
badass bro

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Congrats on your new bike!

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
I can't really pass judgment until....... I get to ride it! :scoots:

let me know when you'll be out my way, then I'll let you know what I think.

·
Throw Some D's On It
8,779 Posts
Killer Bike!! How is the heat on your hammy's? It is as bad as the R-1?

·
Go in deeper come out faster
6,403 Posts
Man beautiful bike! I will enjoy seeing that around town from here on out....tomarrow is the last day I figure to get the last ride in before the weather takes its turn. Someday I hope I can be able to afford a machine in that $$$$ range! Excellent color choice btw.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
I was one of the original posters on your previous thread, where I said that there were many things that didn't suit me one the 1098's I'd ridden...

I'm very, very glad you're happy with yours mate, and she looks gorgeous! Treat her well :thumbup

·
the Green Bastard
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks a TON for all the congrats and compliments guys.

I realise it's not a bike that everyone may like, but I think we are going to mesh nicely. It's definitely a welcome change. I was looking for something "different" and I've certainly found it.

toecutter - I can definitely feel the heat from the exhaust. I haven't ridden an 04-08 R1 so I can't compare. But My ZX-10R put off almost no heat from the exhaust at all. So the 1098 will be much more hot in the summer, especially when in my leathers. It's crystal clear that it's not a bike that will put up with stop and go traffic should I get caught in it. The jap bikes do a pretty good job of keeping temps down and have larger radiators. Then again...I never intend on riding in traffic.

·
Rossi Rules!!!!!
9,283 Posts
Damn Andy!!! I'm jealous! :lol Congrats on the new wheels. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.