Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy- would love to hear your opinions about when it's time to sell a bike.

I've had it (1998 Blue R1, now 5100 miles, totally stock) for about 2 years, but I only put 1400 miles on it. Honestly, it's too much bike for me too learn much on, I feel like one of those guys who buys a ferrari and the only thing he gets out of it is "wow! this is fast."

It's tough though because it's in basically perfect condition, and I figure it'll be hard to find another one like it. It was my dream bike when it came out, and now I finally have it...

But I just don't ride it that much. I think I'd prefer a supermoto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jApCAEq3LTU&t=25m50s

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's an hour north of New York City.

It runs perfectly, is 100% reliable, etc. This is a perfect R1!

I like owning it, just because it can accelerate so fast, it's in the best shape of any bike I ever had, and it was my dream bike for so long. But even though I've been riding for 15 years, it's still to fast for me to exploit...

Heart: keep. Head: sell.

· Hope is what makes us Human.
8,556 Posts
Are you sure the clock is original :lol :cwm13:

· Registered
1,687 Posts
You probably won't get much out of it. I think anything before 2000 seems ancient to most people and they're probably afraid that it will have age-related problems. 2000 is only 2 years newer but it seems like the same era where 19xx doesn't :/

· My R1 eats M1.
457 Posts
I have the same feeling, and i know what the problem is.

#This bike is insane fast,
#Street riding is extremely boring
#Go wild, for a short amount of time get a little joy out of it.
#Go crazy, end up injured or death or just pay the fines and lose your license one day.

So my only option is a track bike, but I don't live near one so its a problem.
My bike is worth more now, then as a track only bike. thats a problem.

For now i'm keeping it, but a Supermoto is more fun on the streets for sure.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
I say keep it if you don't have to get rid of it.Good,clean 1st gens are getting harder to find.Someone will want it in the future because it was their dreambike and they will fork over some cash for it.

If you don't ride it,pickle it and roll it into your living room for you to look at all the time.
I had a bike in my living room in Florida and it was a great conversation piece.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.