Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out my 1 year old female akita most likely has to undergo orthopedic surgery... i have yet to call these surgeons (most likely will tomorrow). I was wondering if anybody had orthopedic surgery done on their dogs... i was wondering what it would cost... Basically she has a luxating patella (medially sliding kneecap)... any info would be greatly appreciated... thnx!

im really worried about her, she was in great pain the first several times, actually one time it hurt her so bad she pissed herself.... i felt so bad for her. plz help....

Attachments

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
man that sucks. I know just to have my rabbit neutered it was like $90. SO that major surgery should be a couple hundred bones no doubt. I have a mini shnauzer too and would cry if anything happened to her. I hope your dog is OK and you can help her feel better. Animals are a blessing to any household

·
My R1 hates snow.
493 Posts
it will be quite expensive.dont be suprised if the word "thousand " is used,a lot of vets are pretty cool regartding payments,just make sure to get it all on paper first.the operation is pretty straight forward though.they will most likely "cinch up" the patella with carbon fiber thread,stopping the floating patella.if it works out she will be as good as new.
i assisted on a simular operation on a rottweiler,it was awesome to see the dog bound into the hospital a few weeks later ,with a new lease on life.good luck.:thumbup

·
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thnx for all the support, i will keep you informed on her condition... i just had to pop the cruciate ligament back in place again... I will do whatever i can to make her feel 110%.

·
Not having a R1 sucks
471 Posts
Hey NR, there is an akita forum of about 80 members that I post on. They are real knowledgeable and give great advice. www.akitaforum.com
I am kinda busy, but I will try to post something up if I get a free second.
edit- I just cross-posted there, so check for replies.
-Jeff

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Get another opinion. First you mention a medially sliding patella (when the patella subluxes, it generally goes lateral, not medial), and then you say you had to "pop the cruciate ligament" back in place. That's not a characteristic of ligaments. What you are saying isn't adding up, unless you are simply getting your terminology all confused.

·
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eyespy said:
Get another opinion. First you mention a medially sliding patella (when the patella subluxes, it generally goes lateral, not medial), and then you say you had to "pop the cruciate ligament" back in place. That's not a characteristic of ligaments. What you are saying isn't adding up, unless you are simply getting your terminology all confused.
i meant the ligament slides medially across the groove.... they either have to regroove the area of attachment for the ligament to stay in the groove. when i say pop back in, i mean pop the ligament back into its normal position, the groove. this is a pretty common mishap in active dogs...
this site has some info on what a luxating patella is...

http://www.animalclinic.com/luxpatel.htm

this link shows that medially sliding luxating patellas are more common, but cases of laterally sliding patellas happen from traumas...

http://www.ovrs.com/info/patella.html

the fact is that we need xrays to prove if it slides medially or laterally. I know for a fact that the ligament slides towards her body all the time since i "pop" it back in.

just talked to the vet at upenn vet hospital. im crying, this is going to cost 2200!!!! hahahaha..... im drinking. i dont think im going to be able to afford med school after this....

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
My boxer had a ruptured cruciet or something like that about two years ago.

Number one I got hooked up with a vet for $1200 whos cam recommended, the son of biatch operated on the wrong leg, so get a vet that's not a fricken idiot. :mad:

Number two pay the extra money and have the dog stay at the vets for at least a week because you'll have to crate him or her and if they cry it will drive you crazy and the last thing you want to do is let them be mobil because it could make it worst.:yesnod

Number three SPEND THE MONEY, our animals love us on conditionally and we should do the same for them.:makeout

Number four, good luck man, I cried my ass off when my boxer almost died about 6 months ago so I know seeing your animals in pain is just as painful for you. :cryin

·
Registered
633 Posts
Someone mentioned above...don't be surprised to hear "thousand". But, I have 2 Huskies, and they would be worth it. Look into pet insurance. I don't know if it's too late to pick it up. If not, you will save tons and will only have to pay about 10% of the cost of the surgery. I'm sorry you have to go through this ordeal. Pets are family to me, and I think you share the same sentiments. Great looking dogs. I've always loved Akitas too. Good Luck Bro.

·
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mkinla said:
My boxer had a ruptured cruciet or something like that about two years ago.

Number one I got hooked up with a vet for $1200 whos cam recommended, the son of biatch operated on the wrong leg, so get a vet that's not a fricken idiot. :mad:

Number two pay the extra money and have the dog stay at the vets for at least a week because you'll have to crate him or her and if they cry it will drive you crazy and the last thing you want to do is let them be mobil because it could make it worst.:yesnod

Number three SPEND THE MONEY, our animals love us on conditionally and we should do the same for them.:makeout

Number four, good luck man, I cried my ass off when my boxer almost died about 6 months ago so I know seeing your animals in pain is just as painful for you. :cryin
thnx man... yeah i trust upenn vet hospital, they said they do hundreds of these types of surgeries a year... so i feel confident in them.. if they fark up i will shoot them and have my other akita kill them. they said they will take her in the day before the surgery and stay the day after, i guess i will ask them to board her for a little longer.... my friends are trying to setup a party, "Save Madison 2003".....

·
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RexRR1 said:
Someone mentioned above...don't be surprised to hear "thousand". But, I have 2 Huskies, and they would be worth it. Look into pet insurance. I don't know if it's too late to pick it up. If not, you will save tons and will only have to pay about 10% of the cost of the surgery. I'm sorry you have to go through this ordeal. Pets are family to me, and I think you share the same sentiments. Great looking dogs. I've always loved Akitas too. Good Luck Bro.
thnx!! yeah the deal with the insurance is that if its a pre-existing problem, they wont cover it... so that sux.. but i am going to get it, i just have to see what they actually cover before i shout out the 28 bux/momth for each dog... thnx for the help and concern.

·
Da Vulva Swabber
805 Posts
i tell you what you do. go to your tool box get your hammer out and knock this animal in the head. make sure to bust out all of his brains. then scoop em up and put them in the skillet lmao

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
jonwag23 said:
i tell you what you do. go to your tool box get your hammer out and knock this animal in the head. make sure to bust out all of his brains. then scoop em up and put them in the skillet lmao
Not cool dude... :2bitchsla :bash

·
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jonwag23 said:
so i take it u dont like dogs... in any case, ur a total farkin loser.... we don't need people like you on this forum.:no

·
Da Vulva Swabber
805 Posts
no no no. i love dogs but this animal will suffer for the rest of its life. would you want to suffer.

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
jonwag23 said:
Your focken bitch, if your ever going to be coming to L.A. PM me so I can meet you at the airport and kick your faggot ass you little pole smoking, cock holstering biatch :mad:

·
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jonwag23 said:
no no no. i love dogs but this animal will suffer for the rest of its life. would you want to suffer.
thats why im opting for surgery, to cure this. so say for instance my sister has cancer, should i hit her over the head with a hammer and cook her brains on a skillet like u suggest or stand behind her thru treatment? i dont want my dog to suffer, thats why im goin with surgery....

·
Da Vulva Swabber
805 Posts
ok you win dude go get that dog some help. you have sofend me

:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts