Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is the conclusion to my day, the plugs I pulled out looked really good still. Obviously the threaded end is still in my motor, any good ideas how to remove it?

·
Super Moderator
24,581 Posts
Try finding a flat head screwdriver just a bit smaller width as the diameter of the plug. Try to wedge the screwdriver into the remaining threads and back it out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So this is the conclusion to my day, the plugs I pulled out looked really good still. Obviously the threaded end is still in my motor, any good ideas how to remove it?
May I ask what part of the plug is still in the motor?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
I got it out using a bolt extractor, and some spray penetrate called freeze off. This stuff really works well imo. Funny thing is I barely put any torque on the plug when it snapped. Autozone replaced the broken plug though, which is nice.

View attachment 1010854

View attachment 1010855
Hi ShadiestR1, well done. Great thought and care and you got it out. I was thinking how much of the plug you had to work with. Also I was worried about it breaking up going in the cylinder. But you got it all out in one piece. I never seen a plug break before like that. I worked on an 04 R1 for a friend, and it is had been standing for about 3 years in a damp garage. One of the plugs was tight on that. So I sprayed a little releasing spray down there for a couple of days and it came out. But I never thought it could break like your one did. My compliments to you sir for a job well done, RESPECT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks sir, as soon as it snapped a huge red panic button went off in my brain, right before that while attempting to remove the #1 plug, using a standard size spark plug socket, along with a 6 inch extension, the combo is not possible to pull out the spark plug unless you stick something else down the hole and push the socket off the extension and reach back down and grab the offending socket. Lol I felt like a short bus kid trying to learn something new. Bike runs great btw...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks sir, as soon as it snapped a huge red panic button went off in my brain, right before that while attempting to remove the #1 plug, using a standard size spark plug socket, along with a 6 inch extension, the combo is not possible to pull out the spark plug unless you stick something else down the hole and push the socket off the extension and reach back down and grab the offending socket. Lol I felt like a short bus kid trying to learn something new. Bike runs great btw...
My biggest worry was that it could break up and parts drop into the cylinder. But that tool you used worked great. Maybe next time spray some releasing fluid and leave overnight.
I remember what pain it was when I serviced my friend's 04 R1. Even when I got them lose I had to use a bit of plastic conduit with the end split and the ridges of the conduit would slip over ridges if the spark plug to remove. They are pretty deep and not much access.
Hey you done it now happy riding, hope you got better weather than here in the UK ha ha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
66 degrees F. Springtime is upon us. Perfect weather. I'm in california though so you know...anyway I'll remember the advice, I was stricken with such dread at the time. This is the first real serious bike I've bought, dont get me wrong, the gsxr 600 and then 750 were good bikes to learn on, but the raw, unlimited power this beast has kinda has me hooked. The smallest mistake during repairs could quite honestly lead to an early demise. Albeit it is a 20 year old machiene, quite outdated as far as most riders are concerned (what with abs and traction control and whatnot) but I feel every input directly in a cause/effect relationship. I've only had it to 140mph but it seriously felt like it could go 190+....thanks for the replies I'm glad I went the r1 route.

·
Registered
150 Posts
66 degrees F. Springtime is upon us. Perfect weather. I'm in california though so you know...anyway I'll remember the advice, I was stricken with such dread at the time. This is the first real serious bike I've bought, dont get me wrong, the gsxr 600 and then 750 were good bikes to learn on, but the raw, unlimited power this beast has kinda has me hooked. The smallest mistake during repairs could quite honestly lead to an early demise. Albeit it is a 20 year old machiene, quite outdated as far as most riders are concerned (what with abs and traction control and whatnot) but I feel every input directly in a cause/effect relationship. I've only had it to 140mph but it seriously felt like it could go 190+....thanks for the replies I'm glad I went the r1 route.
I have got a 15 year old Aprilia that I can't part with. And my 2015 track R1. They are so small that when offered my friend a go on it who us 6ft 4", he could not even get on it properly and said he needed leg surgery to have a go on it ha ha.
Enjoy your sunshine and bike, I will be in Spain on track in a couple of months so I will be able to do the same. I always wanted a R1 when they came out, but couldn't afford a race bike and a road bike, I had a TZ 350 at the time. Well I got one in the end, like yourself I love it too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Richard... hopefully it will stop raining soon... I’m thinking of swapping the M for a jet ski... I’d get more use out of it at the moment ...

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
150 Posts
Richard... hopefully it will stop raining soon... I’m thinking of swapping the M for a jet ski... I’d get more use out of it at the moment ...

Steve

You ain't far wrong there Steve, come to Almeria with us for anything up to six days from two.
Mind you it won't be till 29th of April. By that time the sun might show its face ha ha.
I really need to test the slipper clutch, but all the treads I have are race tyres although road legal even on the spares wheels that it came with. I need a minimum of 18 degrees. I have it to. 02mm to the optimum but getting in neutral is still a bit tricky. Saying that if it don't slip and Seton can sort the blip and the rest out, I only need it to go out and when I come back in. On the road the clutch is heavy but nothing to an old scaff ha ha.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is no way I’m taking the M on track Richard, after smashing up my beloved anniversary R1 at Oulton Park my track riding day’s are over .... I must be getting old... lol

Looking forward to some drier weather now all the salt has been washed away by the rain and I can get the M out. March, I think will be a good biking month.

Good luck with the clutch and getting the bike ready for Almeria

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is no way I’m taking the M on track Richard, after smashing up my beloved anniversary R1 at Oulton Park my track riding day’s are over .... I must be getting old... lol

Looking forward to some drier weather now all the salt has been washed away by the rain and I can get the M out. March, I think will be a good biking month.

Good luck with the clutch and getting the bike ready for Almeria

If it dies dry out next month, I throw some race treads on and might get a quick test before it goes to Seton for remapping.
I hate this winter time when we can't ride. Let's hope you are right with the weather prediction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts