Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I’m stumped, first time this happened I was riding, and the shifter wouldn’t give a click up or down, just some play, and gear indicator said nothing , got the bike home, pulled the clutch basket and shift shaft and found that end bent open not causing it to move between the tangs on the shift drum
I have 2 spare engines,swapped the shift shaft with a good one which is straight, and same thing happened recently, bent it back open, I was thinking maybe a small gap or play in the drum/forks when switching gears hits that plate? Any one experience this before? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
No one?

Well installed shaft number 3 today just gonna baby it for now for a street/stunt ride in abq next weekend if anyone’s in the area, FYI you can’t bend them back they crack tried my old one for the hell of it lol

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts
Dude, you are an animal. 4 of them in a month? Have you talked to anyone at Yamaha or maybe at graves? I wish I had some advice for you, but other than telling you to reach out to them I've got nothing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a similar problem a few years ago. Do your gears shifts smoothly? Mine was from a worn 5th gear that required me hammering on the shifter to get it to engage. I changed out the shift shaft and a few days later one of my shift forks broke. I don't remember which one but I had to split the cases to change it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It shifts smooth, and I made it a point to stop clutchless up shifts, and adjusting the clutch a bit tighter to ensure it’s disengaging before shifting, but that’s what I’m thinking, before I split it I wanted to make sure maybe it wasn’t something stupid I overlooked, when I baby it, they last but can’t help popping it up 😂 it comes too natural, it’s weird, like all the pressure keeping it in gear is on that little stopper between the tangs and that’s the only thing bending it, maybe a cracked shift drum that’s flexing under load and putting pressure on it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And again, this is what is breaking/bending open, as my understanding this is what stops the drum when physically shifting by your foot and the roller on the end of the shift drum is for keeping it in gear, what’s happening is the hooks are hitting that stopper and bending it open, I’ve ridden my whole life and as a mechanic you have an understanding when shifting not to put so much pressure on the shifter and just let it click, maybe my foot just got heavier the passes 2 months 🤷🏻‍♂️😂 but I haven’t changed my riding style

·
Registered
166 Posts
And again, this is what is breaking/bending open, as my understanding this is what stops the drum when physically shifting by your foot and the roller on the end of the shift drum is for keeping it in gear, what’s happening is the hooks are hitting that stopper and bending it open, I’ve ridden my whole life and as a mechanic you have an understanding when shifting not to put so much pressure on the shifter and just let it click, maybe my foot just got heavier the passes 2 months 🤷🏻‍♂️😂 but I haven’t changed my riding style
View attachment 1018817
I'm wondering if that's just a symptom of another problem you're having. My shift forks were bent and so when I was hammering through the gears it took more effort than it should so my shift shaft broke first. I replaced it and a few hundred km's later the shift fork snapped.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm wondering if that's just a symptom of another problem you're having. My shift forks were bent and so when I was hammering through the gears it took more effort than it should so my shift shaft broke first. I replaced it and a few hundred km's later the shift fork snapped.
I replaced the shift forks and a few gears and put everything back together. That was 2 yrs ago and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You could use one of these, I have one on my 2015, I ain't had a chance to try it yet as I haven't quite finished building it. But they have good reviews, wether that is your problem, it is hard to tell, but it would give your gear shift shaft some support. It has needle roller bearing inside where it runs on the shift rod and gives it added support.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 1018817
Hey Rob09 I just came across your post while searching for answers. I’ve just experienced the exact same thing on my MT10. Gears initially jammed then failed to downshift properly but upshifts were ok. I suspected two possibilities, 1) easy fix, shift shaft had somehow got damaged or 2) big job, selector fork or drum somehow damaged. Having pulled the clutch cover and clutch assembly off that tag had broken on the shift shaft. I was still suspicious and curious as to what had caused it… should I just replace it or pull down further and investigate 🤔. I decided to take a chance and fitted a new shaft and throw it back together. This is a track bike by the way. Anyhow after 3 track sessions gears failed to change. I might add that leading up to the first failure I kept missing gears going up from 3rd to 4th and sometimes to 5th. When this happens at high revs at race pace it’s a pretty severe and brutal event! So now I’m convinced there’s something more at play so rather than waste time and money replacing the shaft again I’m about to pull the box apart. I hope you’re still reading…. Just wondering if you had a result with yours after your multiple failures, it might save me a lot of time investigating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts