Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
R1's Rfun
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when shifting from 1st to 2nd in a wheelie, i don't (cant')use the clutch. i have never stripped or heard a grind just missed a few times and hit neutral. i only let off the throttle for a split second to get it to pop into second. is this hard on the bike?
sometimes when i am in first and i wind it out and go to shift into second i pull the clutch in go for second and let it out and think i hit second but it is still in first when i let the clutch out so i have to double clutch it real quick, shift and then it goes in- this might have happened in other gears before too, i can't remember

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Not sure how to explain in English but "the stuff" inside your gearbox is probably worn out. You need to change "these".

Argh.. Mattias here on the board can probably explain better.

But this happens when the edges of "the stuff" gets are too worn down.

About, using the clutch method. Sometimes using the clutch is not that good because if you happen to rev it a little too while you pull in the clutch and let it out you might get too much power on the clutch and it will caus you to to flip the bike.

The reason you wear down "the stuff" is because you probably aren't high enough, at the balance point that is.. but I'm not sure about that. But try going further up so that you're not on the way up as you click into second..

Else, clutch it up in 2nd.. probably better. It's easier to change the clutch than changing the gear box internals.
Also if you click from 2nd to 3rd without clutch it is easier on the box because you're not revving the bike as much.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Ok to answer your question the shift from first to second is harder on the gearbox than any other shift due to the long throw(go past neutral). What is going to happen is your geardogs are going to wear out and the tranny will slip in second and later on also in fifth due to the fact those two are intertwined. When this does happen you are looking at about 300.00 in parts,labor depends on your area. My question is why are you pulling it up in first?

·
Registered
148 Posts
bent

in you quest for glorious wheel and I dont blame you for that ,what you have done is bend your shift forks, the forks themselves arent verry expensive but tearing down the engin to get to them sure will be :(

·
R1's Rfun
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
why i pull up wheelies in 1st? usually where i ride i don't always have the room for second and i don't want to do triple digit wheelies down those roads so i do it in first so i dont go so fast- now that i can stand up i am able to get them to balance point
i am definitely done shifting 1st to 2nd!
i do pull them up in second quite a bit and ride them out, but like i said i finally figured out balance point 2 weeks ago standing up. i am going to try 2nd gear stand ups way more next year!
thanks for all the input- hopefully nothing is too messed up in my tranny!:no
The bike has about 7450 miles right now. i have only done this clutchless wheelie shifting maybe a dozen and a half times. do you think this is enough to have bent the shift forks or messed anything up really bad:rolleyes:

·
1,894 Posts
If you messed up the gear dogs you will know. What happens most of the time is it will slip while in second on hard throttle

·
Oh Canabis
275 Posts
The key to a good shift from 1st to 2nd is not to wind the bike out too much in 1st, try shifting at a lower rpm.
You'll notice it engage much easier, 3rd, 4th and 5th are usually not a problem :rock

·
R1's Rfun
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
took your advice moderator. second gear is much better for long wheelies. i was able to get the bike out one last time on wednesday the 19th of dec. went on some straight-a-ways and pulled them up and was able to ride much longer than first. it seems like the key is getting them up right away and keeping your speed steady so you don't run out of gear and have to shift into third but someday maybe i will be able to shift third-maybe next summer. now, how do you steer the bike. i am guessing you need to lean really hard on the left or right foot peg (depending which way you want to veer the bike) and kinda lean your body over that side of the gas tank too. i have not been too successful at this yet. will practice next year but any advice is appreciated. i have learned a lot since i have become a member of this site!:crash
tires- have factory dunlops - worn. want to try a new brand- but not spend a fortune (michelin pilot's?- i'd like something with white writing on them):rock

·
1,894 Posts
To steer,if you want to go right push down on the right peg and if you hit the balance point you can ride second gear all day long,maintain speed and not have to shift. I run Pilot sports and love them,if you want white lettering you will need to get a paint pen and start coloring. Glad we can help,anytime. Ride safe and within your limits:cool:

·
My next race bike !
53 Posts
There aren't to many tires that come with white letters at least on sport bikes what you need to get is a tire pen most tires for a r1 cost about the same the big 3 are dunlop mich. and pirelli aprox. $200+ for a rear and $150 for a front atleast though a dealer ship some online places are cheaper

·
Registered
313 Posts
their are special markers you can buy, in all different colors were you can color in your existing lettering. it comes out nice. i believe is phillip lock company. or somethi9ng like tha.

·
GO FAST!!!!!!:-)
26 Posts
when u start a weelie in 1st try to change to 2nd as early as possible at low rpm. just lift the front wheel 10-20 cm in 1st ten go to 2nd no clutch, the R1 has enough power to make it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts