Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been covered many times but,Is there any damage caused long term or short term by not using the clutch on the upshift?Can it be done all the time including in town or should it only be done when at a good rate of speed with the rev's up?Went for my normal ride in the country today pretty much the same route as normal didn't use the clutch for the biggest part of the ride.Just preloaded the shift lever and didnt use the clutch gained a good 1.5 closer to 2 miles per gallon.Just wondering what everyone thinks on this.Thanks in advance.

kf
:thumbup

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
Think about it. By rolling off the gas and shifting, your essentially doing the same thing as engaging the clutch, unloading the pressure on the trans! Does not hurt it!

·
3,197 Posts
veteq said:
can you go it at any RPM or do you have to match the rpm like in a car?

Veteq
I can do it butter smooth all day long at 4 grand and up. It gets a little jerky at slower speeds if not precise.

·
Registered
301 Posts
On the track I never use the clutch for upshifts. On the street, I rarely use it but if I do tend to do so at lower rpm. The September issue of Sportrider says, "using the clutch for upshifts during aggressive canyon or track riding is totally unnecessary."

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am trying to understand this, let's say I am at 7000rpm, all I have to do is close the gas and kick in the next gear without pressing the clutch?
Wouldn't this cause the gears to wear?

sorry for all the questions but I am new at this, first year on a bike.....(not an R1, too much bike for a newbie, but this is the best motorcycle forum by far)

·
Border Hopper Imigrant Stopper
1,149 Posts
this is definitely a finer point in manual trannies for both bikes and cars. I know with cars you can shift without clutching, but it CAN (not always...depends on the driver, the clutch, speed, etc.) wear the gear because instead of releasing a latch (by pulling the clutch)) to allow the gear to slide through the whole opening, you're not somewhat rubbing (or pushing) the gear through the partially closed opening. So, that results in clutch wear and tear. As far as how this affects later riding I'm not sure, but it would make sense (to me anyway) that there would be damage in the long run. Just not sure how/if this would affect future performance. Maybe rust or non-smooth transitions? :dunno

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
The gear will kind of "find" the path of least resistance, just make sure to use an even pressured preload on the shifter, and chop back on the throttle.

I also wouldn't say to do it on 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd upshifts, 2nd to 3rd if you;re just putting mabey. it's less strain in higher gears, or if not it feels like it is.

·
Registered
301 Posts
veteq said:
I am trying to understand this, let's say I am at 7000rpm, all I have to do is close the gas and kick in the next gear without pressing the clutch?

sorry for all the questions but I am new at this, first year on a bike.....(not an R1, too much bike for a newbie, but this is the best motorcycle forum by far)
It's kind of weird at first and since it's not instinctual but once you do it a few times, you will get used to it. You barely have to let off the gas and just kick it up to the next gear. Trust me, it will be smooth.

·
Kitty kitty... RRRR
1,712 Posts
veteq said:
To my best knowledge, clutch in motorcycle trannies doesn't do anything but disengage the engine. It doesn't hold the gear.

Don't close the gas, just drop the revs for a split second, barely noticeable move. Start trying it in high gears - 5 and 6. Preload the lever, and chop the throttle slightly for a split sec. The gear should slide in. When you'll feel smooth upshifting in the highest gears, move lower. And practice... I'm still clunky sometimes, when the revs aren't up high.

·
3,197 Posts
Jack_R1 said:
To my best knowledge, clutch in motorcycle trannies doesn't do anything but disengage the engine. It doesn't hold the gear.

Don't close the gas, just drop the revs for a split second, barely noticeable move. Start trying it in high gears - 5 and 6. Preload the lever, and chop the throttle slightly for a split sec. The gear should slide in. When you'll feel smooth upshifting in the highest gears, move lower. And practice... I'm still clunky sometimes, when the revs aren't up high.
You are absolutely correct! All the clutch does is engage/disengage the crank to the trans. Chopping the throttle for a few milliseconds relieves the pressure just like disengaging the clutch and shifting, only you take more time to do it. The Dynojet Quickshifter does the same thing by cutting off the fuel injectors for approx. 40 milliseconds (or whatever you set it at) to allow the shift. The clutch has nothing to do with the trans except to connect it to the crank.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ok, I tried it and shifts very smoothly but only shifts at certain RPM ranges, 8000rpm for example, so if I got up to 8500rpm, you will have to wait until the rpm drops to 8000 before the next gear goes in...in the mean time you are putting presure on the system by pushing the shift up waiting for the "sweet" spot. Am I missing something here? I am new at this....

Veteq

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
it was in the past sport rider. modern transmittions are constant mesh tranny's. As long as your slightly roll off the gas while you are performing the shift it will shift very smoothly and it is perfectly fine to do. If it clunks or grinds you did it wrong.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I havent had a problem with anything..

I have a video with me going down the road, out of sight, but you can still hear the RPM's doing clutchless shifting..

Crappy video non the less, but hey.. let me find it

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
Just make sure you are hitting solid shifts... I generally don't use the clutch on up shifts, but always do on down shifts... In the dirt, I don't use it for either...

- BA

1 - 20 of 29 Posts