Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...maybe i'm just nuts, but is this possible?

I'd like to redo my forks this winter, sending them to Traxxion Dynamics or similar and have them drop in ohlins cartridges and springs and set them up to my weight. Springs will probably be a .90 or 95. My quesiton though is the rear shock. It's stock obvioulsy, but is it possible to just change the spring, somethign stiffer? I know you can buy just springs, but no where does it say...for instance you could take a spring from ohlins and mount it to your stock shock. Not that I would expect to, but does anyone make something that would work? A 100 dollar spring vs, a 1000 dollar shock, and a little time in my garage is a lot better option for me...considering it's mostly street riding that I do. :( No track, no truck...

Am I crazy then? Seems like i should know this answer.

·
what a conusterfluck
131 Posts
Racetech sells shock springs. Eibach, Hyperco, others make springs, too. The racetech springs are probably Eibachs anyway. Racetech claims you need their screw adjusting collar to fit the spring on the stock damper, which I think is just a way to make you buy that adjuster. That would be handy, but of course is more money.

I have a donor 2004 R6 spring on mine, it's about a 9.8 kg/mm (stock is about 8.6) and works much better for me, although the damping still ain't right.

edited, I had the spring rates wrong....

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
When I was setting my bike up with suspension goodies, I talked with Lindemann about the same thing and he said that it wasn't a great idea because of the limited adjustability of the unit itself. So I bit the bullet and got ohlins. Then lost my head and got a ti spring in the process. Go figure.... Bike handles much better than before or maybe it's my head trying to convince me that it is but I think it is...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
For the front, I had Lindemann rebuild the forks and dlc coated. I've had R/T forks on my 99 and don't notice any difference in performance from either as well. Just the 1000 I saved in not going Ohlins.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts