Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gold Forks!
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am new to the forum and new to Yamahas. I've owned a couple GSXRs and now it's time for me to purchase a new bike. I have 2 options. A 07 Kawasaki ZX-10R Green 100% stock just ridden for the summer less than 2k miles. Then a 06 Yamaha R1 Raven Black w/ about 4k miles. I love the look of the Raven Black R1s but really don't know anything about the quality of the product or the bike as a whole. I've read every review and was pretty much sold on the R1. I've read that while the R1 has no midrange and is a slouch through the twisties; the R1 does have the highest mph on the big end!!

I didn't even close to consider the Kawasaki as an option until my friend that's selling the bike had me ride it. It was the most comfortable bike I've ridden(like I said I've come from riding previous year GSXRs). But I didn't ride the bike hard nor long. I only rode for about 25 minutes-it was cold as hell. Well I fell in love w/ how comfortable I felt on the bike. I'm a big guy(5'10" 225-235lbs) and I rarely get on a bike and feel comfortable off the rip, I'm always readjusting myself for a little bit but I felt confident on the 10 from the 1st curve. I don't know why, that's not like me it takes me a while to feel comfortable on any bike?!?!?! I've heard that the R1s are pretty narrow bikes but are very comfortable to ride. How would they compare to say the ZX-10 w/ someone of my size.

My questions are to the people who've ridden other bikes and have experience on other machines. What are the true shortcomings of the R1?? I've heard these bikes handle like a dream but don't have shit for midrange and funny powerband. Now let me say, I am not a track rider but I do ride hard and have had a lot of spirited runs down the highway w/ friends. I know not safe and all but to each his own. I do like to take corners on long sweeping curves of ATLs highways at some very high speeds. I have a friend who owned a 06 ZX-10 and he loved it. But he also sold it and bought a 07 R1-this guy is a well respected rider and it seemed like he was confident and loved his ZX-10. But when I talked to him he said even though he was always head of the pack he noticed himself checking up and holding back a little in the curves while on the 10. He had previously owned a ZX-9 and then a 2000 R1 and he said he never checked up or loosened the throttle on any of his previous bikes nor 2nd guessed himself in the corners so he decided to sell the 10 and buy a new R1. He says that the R1 is definitely slower but it handles like a 600 and he loves every minute of it. He's spent probably close to 3k modding the R1 now to get the low end, mid range punch of the 10 but he said he'd rather upgrade the R1 to keep up than get a 10 that's fast out the factory.

I was wondering if it's even worth getting the 06 or just using the money and purchasing a 08 Black R1 out the door. What are the main differences between the 08 and the new 08s? I know that now they are 4 valves per cylinder instead of 5 and also they have the drive by wire throttle and variable intake runners. That's all good on paper but how does that change the characteristics of the bike on the street. Has Yamaha alleviated that midrange problem?? Or is the R1 just the looker of the pack?

·
Banned
2,503 Posts
2006 has the worst OEM brakes i have ridden on the street in 10 years and i ride sometimes two to three bikes back to back and have tested a few along the way as well.

new pads, lines, and rotors helped tons

get a full exhaust, PC, and stacks and ride

·
The Original One
2,290 Posts
Apologies to the R1 guys but get the ZX10 if it suits you, could be my next bike. You are right the newer R1's are gutless low/midrange, reason being they are "track focussed". The '04-'06 R1 do look nice though. I haven't ruled out a gixxer either.

·
Turn #8 Got Me
1,034 Posts
I know you don't go to the track, but I've passed quite a few guys on "other" bikes with my slouchy, slow R1....and got SMOKED by a guy with a CR250 (i think).
Any 1000 you get will have way more power than most of us can handle.
As for true shortcomings, the quirky powerband used to bug the crap out of me when I was getting used to wheelies, but I don't even notice it anymore.
Good luck with your purchase.

·
Banned
2,503 Posts
a after thought.

if i were to do it again with the 06 and had to leave the exhaust on i would not buy the bike. the way it runs stock drove me nuts so plan on spending $2000 additional IMO or buy another bike

the 2004 CBR i owned was nice and did better OEM but still a full exhaust was a need for me but i bought a Yosh full stainless for $700 and PC so cheaper there

·
Ride it, like you stole it!
380 Posts
I can't really speak on the ZX-10 cause I've never been on one. I've owned the 06' R1 and loved it. If you do decide on the One, I have a PCIII w/ custom map, BMC race filter and a set of sliders that would be great for a first set of mods. They came off of my 06' before I sold it with a little over 5000 miles. I'll make you a good deal if interested.

·
Smooth like #40 Grit Sandpaper
141 Posts
I don't know anything about the Kawi (except that it's ugly). But as far as the 06 R1, I love the way the bike handles, the midrange sucks, but it's not hard to re-adjust your riding style and get used to living in the upper area of the powerband, PCIII does wonders as does race baffles/gutting the cat, smooths out the 5-7k range. The brakes (hadn't noticed till I rode buddies Z1000 with 636 front end) suck ass, this winters projects for me include pads/lines, possibly rotors.

I say get what makes you happy though, all bikes have shortcomings here and there, if you felt "at home" on the Kawi, then go that way. It all really boils down to personal preferance, if you look at the stats on the big 4 liter bikes, they're all within a negligable margin of each other. Which none of us would be able to notice by our seat of the pants meter.

I have to add that the last R1 that I rode was a '98, and my last bike was a '99 CBR900RR, and I have to say that I was quite disappointed with the bike at first, the lack of midrange and the flat spots between 5-7k rpm had me second guessing my purchase. After I re-adjusted my riding style, I'm more than satisfied with it. I'm going to keep this one permanently, but for my next addition to the stable, I think I may veer back to Honda, possibly Kawi, that is, if their design team finds their glasses and gets their heads out of their asses.

As for the highway shenanigans, I moved back here to CT from GA. Do yourself a favor, get yourself up to the intersection of 180 and 60 in Suches, at the gas station (Dales) meet some people up there and go for a ride (show up early on sunday morn). You'll be glad you did.:fact

·
Gold Forks!
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know anything about the Kawi (except that it's ugly). But as far as the 06 R1, I love the way the bike handles, the midrange sucks, but it's not hard to re-adjust your riding style and get used to living in the upper area of the powerband, PCIII does wonders as does race baffles/gutting the cat, smooths out the 5-7k range. The brakes (hadn't noticed till I rode buddies Z1000 with 636 front end) suck ass, this winters projects for me include pads/lines, possibly rotors.

I say get what makes you happy though, all bikes have shortcomings here and there, if you felt "at home" on the Kawi, then go that way. It all really boils down to personal preferance, if you look at the stats on the big 4 liter bikes, they're all within a negligable margin of each other. Which none of us would be able to notice by our seat of the pants meter.

I have to add that the last R1 that I rode was a '98, and my last bike was a '99 CBR900RR, and I have to say that I was quite disappointed with the bike at first, the lack of midrange and the flat spots between 5-7k rpm had me second guessing my purchase. After I re-adjusted my riding style, I'm more than satisfied with it. I'm going to keep this one permanently, but for my next addition to the stable, I think I may veer back to Honda, possibly Kawi, that is, if their design team finds their glasses and gets their heads out of their asses.

As for the highway shenanigans, I moved back here to CT from GA. Do yourself a favor, get yourself up to the intersection of 180 and 60 in Suches, at the gas station (Dales) meet some people up there and go for a ride (show up early on sunday morn). You'll be glad you did.:fact
Believe me the Kawasaki does nothing for me in the looks department. I love the looks of the R1!! That's my favorite looking bike. The kawasakis also have brake issues, but the powerband is a lot more potent.

Also where is this intersection of 180 and 60?? Is this in Helen or Dawsonville? I've lived in Atlanta for the longest and I've never heard of this. I know guys go to the mountains and ride but they either go to Helen, GA way up 985 or Dawsonville, GA way up GA 400.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Speed Is My Life...
271 Posts
I have to admit that I had concerns after I bought my R1. I was coming for a 600, so the power was more than enough at first but the bike had its fair share of "shortcomings" that i was unsure about. The heat under the seat, the twitchy throttle, and the weird dip in power at midrange. most people seem to enjoy taking the time to modify a bike in different ways to personalize the experience and i'm no different. so as i take the time to change the exhaust, tune my pcIII and buy add ons to get my R1 just like I want it, im having more and more fun riding it. Now on top off being a beautiful bike that is well made, its actually is getting some character. I've been on an 04 zx10, and while the power down low is nice, i wouldnt say that my R1 is a chump either. Im 6'1 265 and it hauls my big ass around just fine; no worse or no better than the kawi. and i find it comfortable for my height. at the end of the day fast is fast......could it be faster? sure. but what bike couldnt? you go and ride a rocket for a month and sooner or later you'll be wondering how fast you could go if you tied two rockets together. lol. i think unless you drag race on the weekends its just as fast as anything else plus or minus a tenth or two. But I know i made the right choice because of the days when i can't ride and I still go in the garage to stare at my bike. I enjoy it just as much then, and its not moving at all.:)

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
Ride the both for a day or two and decide. It depends what you want and what riding you do.

I am, 6'3 and 190 lbs and I am comfortable on the R1. If I get on a Kawazaki or whatever it feels lump and too bulky.

Like I said in a previous thread, it is like when your girlfriend is smaller than you, you can throw her around and do fun things in fun places :boobies

Same with the R1, the handling was for me the decisive factor and the braking is superb, and a rider adapts to the smaller size very quickly and that adaption is addictive.

There are endless threads in the "lack" of midrange power but I prefer it that way. Life on the R1 starts when the tacho hits 10K ... it makes up for it :scared. I went +2 on the rear and with GYTR Slips ons, the midrange power is much better.

It's your choice, your ass and your money (buy the R1 :secret:)

:rock Ride Safe and Respect the Beast :fork

·
Gold Forks!
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ride the both for a day or two and decide. It depends what you want and what riding you do.

I am, 6'3 and 190 lbs and I am comfortable on the R1. If I get on a Kawazaki or whatever it feels lump and too bulky.

Like I said in a previous thread, it is like when your girlfriend is smaller than you, you can throw her around and do fun things in fun places :boobies

Same with the R1, the handling was for me the decisive factor and the braking is superb, and a rider adapts to the smaller size very quickly and that adaption is addictive.

There are endless threads in the "lack" of midrange power but I prefer it that way. Life on the R1 starts when the tacho hits 10K ... it makes up for it :scared. I went +2 on the rear and with GYTR Slips ons, the midrange power is much better.

It's your choice, your ass and your money (buy the R1 :secret:)

:rock Ride Safe and Respect the Beast :fork
Easier said than done. I can ride the ZX-10 but I don't have any personal dear to my heart friends that have R1s that I can borrow. I don't like borrowing bikes just like that. You never know what can happen.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
2006 has the worst OEM brakes i have ridden on the street in 10 years and i ride sometimes two to three bikes back to back and have tested a few along the way as well.
:confused:
something was probably wrong with your brake setup.

·
Team Yamaha
13 Posts
I say if you can afford it, get an 08 R1. I love my 06 but in stock form it was alot to get used to. Just dropping a tooth on the rear sprocket helps quite a bit. A few mods will help but for the extra cash you could just get a new one...... :fork

·
RSV4 RF
2,061 Posts
If your looking for different views on the bike my opinion is get the R-1, last year when i was bike shopping i looked at the GXSR,ZX10,CBR1000rr,R-1,each bike has it own strong points, one for the R-1 was for looks and performance as for power compared to the GXSR theres a difference. i wanted something that i look at every day and say to my self i made the right decision. If you want a professional opinion check the latest motor cyclist magazine , December issue with two busa on the cover facing off on that article page 108 talks about the 04-06 R-1, they broke it down the pros and con for purchasing the bike.Check it out and with every body input it should help with your decision at the end your got to be happy with the decision you make good luck.

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
Easier said than done. I can ride the ZX-10 but I don't have any personal dear to my heart friends that have R1s that I can borrow. I don't like borrowing bikes just like that. You never know what can happen.
I understand it's not that easy to borrow a bike, so I know where you are coming from.

The R1 just has always appealed to me, even before I rode it. So you have to go with your gut, and I am sure deep inside you know what you want.

:thumbup As long as it has two wheels and a mean litre motor, you'll get to be in the zone :rock

·
The Patient
1,643 Posts
i dont know whats wrong with brakes on the r1, they are awesome brakes, even stock, add lines-pads and they are superb. as far as the midrange problem, its easy... you just ride above that, why would you try to pull a hill in sixth gear at 40mph (so to speak), just learn to use the gear box, thats why its there. the kwak is ugly as hell. Top end means nothing. If you want top end--buy a busa. Every bike has its shortcoming, but not one of those shortcomings will ever hinder us mortals during riding street or track.

bottom line is buy the bike you want, not cuz its 1.67432 more horsepower than the next one, or 2.89 more peak horsepower, or its all bullshit to sell bikes. buy the one that talks to you.

good luck,
i love my 05 and will never part with her.

·
Il Padrino
1,981 Posts
As mentioned, the newer R1's are gutless in low/midrange because they are "track oriented."

I have loved the R1 since it's inception, but I think Yamaha is on the wrong track here. We're buying these bikes for the street, not the track. Low and midrange is where we spend 95% of our time. Litre bikes are already overpowered (thus the decision of MotoGP to drop to 800cc) so why make it even more "track oriented" than it already is?

I think litre bikes are too much for the track (smaller bikes have faster lap times at most every track) and the newer R1's are sucky street bikes. Unfortunately, until this trend changes, I, as well as many others, are switching brands.

BTW, my '06 Raven is for sale. :D

·
Member 1352
1,904 Posts
I love my 05. It's brakes are astounding! I have Goodridge lines, EBC HH pads and a Brembo mastercylider with the stock calipers and rotors and they work great!

I also have -1 +2 sprockets so I can get to the meat of the powerband sooner...

A few simple mods are all it takes to cure the R1's shortcomings. I had an 02 R1 and it was a torque monster no doubt. But the 04+ R1's are way sexier in my book...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.