Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im new to the forum as i just bought a 2011 R1 .. I know the shortening akrapovic exhaust topic has been discussed alot here but my question is does anyone know anyone who i can ship them to and have them shortened ? Someone with experience and the right tools because i know they require special rivets and what not.. Of course i will pay for the service.. Let me know thanks!

·
My R1 Kills
208 Posts
Hello everyone, im new to the forum as i just bought a 2011 R1 .. I know the shortening akrapovic exhaust topic has been discussed alot here but my question is does anyone know anyone who i can ship them to and have them shortened ? Someone with experience and the right tools because i know they require special rivets and what not.. Of course i will pay for the service.. Let me know thanks!
If your after a complete factory finish, Calsport UK are the guys you need. But the problem is they're in the UK.

Used them before. Couldn't even tell if they had been touched. Top quality work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Humm instead of shortening them why not sell them. There was a full Titanium Akra system that was shortened 1.5 inches for sale roughly a week ago I'm pretty sure there still available. Sell your setup and pick up that full system. It would prob cost similar if not near that ball park. I personally think shortening the exhaust ruins it but to each there own.

·
WOG
6,043 Posts
I have done it to my Graves full titanium cans and my Sato carbon/Ti cans. Easy peasy. As for "special" rivets, are those magical ones???:lol

Where are you located??? That would help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im located in wichita kansas.. And im still new to the forum to be able to sell anything. Also mine are carbon fiber and i wanna keep that look..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really want the sound of toce but dont want to sacrifice the look,quality, and performance of my akrapovics.. I wouldnt mind trading them for the graves carbon mufflers!! But again havent been a member long enough to sell/trade

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
As long as the tips of the exhaust are not inboard of the light, you'll be fine. Flush with the lights is ok, once you shorten any further, putting the tips slightly inboard of the tail light, you may have problems. 1.5 inches is what I did to my carbon Akra cannisters, and they're exactly flush. Love the look.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I've been wanting to shorten my Grave Carbon Fiber cans for a very long time now but I'm not sure if I'll melt the tail light.
I've put about 2500kms on my bike since I've got the Leo italias and there is no sign of melting. My plate was turning a nice yellow though. The exhaust was starting to burn my plate so I had to re locate it underneath the seat

·
37,490 Posts
No special rivets required, regular al. Will work fine.

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
10,843 Posts
As long as the tips of the exhaust are not inboard of the light, you'll be fine. Flush with the lights is ok, once you shorten any further, putting the tips slightly inboard of the tail light, you may have problems. 1.5 inches is what I did to my carbon Akra cannisters, and they're exactly flush. Love the look.
I've put about 2500kms on my bike since I've got the Leo italias and there is no sign of melting. My plate was turning a nice yellow though. The exhaust was starting to burn my plate so I had to re locate it underneath the seat
The old Graves Carbon Fiber cans already sit flush. I was hoping to leave the outlets where they are and bring the other end of the cans more under the tail.

But if I do that, I'll have to fabricate the y-pipe to reach the cans. I've called all around town and nobody wants to weld titanium.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I'd like to have my graves exhaust this short but would I melt the tailight at this length?

I'm going to guess probably not, unless you sit still idling a lot at a stoplight. I've not had any problems with mine being flush with the tail light.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Here's a close-up of my akras after Jamie James shortened them. They look as if they came that way from the factory. His work is superb.

And a shot from the other side, from slightly further away.

·
Registered
614 Posts
For those of you that have shortened your mufflers, how much did the overall sound increase? Any droning? I hate how long my mufflers look, but it's about as loud as I want it right now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts