• Hardware firewall?

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Both?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I just don't care about my computer security!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Blue One's are FASTER!!!!
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always run a software firewall and a router. The router is built into my DSL modem (Westell wirespeed 2100), so my reall IP is never broadcasted. Also my IP changed everytime I log on or off again. The software firewall never gets any hits on it unless sometime it picks up feedback from my own computer, which is sometimes normal. So should I still keep the software firewall active? It just slows down the speed of the internet because of the scanning and filtering. Also alot of time I have to re-fresh the page to display all of the photos due to the selective blocking it does. Yes, on the sites I view I permite everything so that is not an issue. Just for speed purposes.

What are your guys thoughts?

Also there is a poll to see what every one runs for a setup.

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
I can't think of any reason to run a software firewall on a pc that is behind a router and gets a ip address from the router. If you run a server off the router that is setup for DMZ, then you'd want to run a software firewall on the server itself.

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
Here's what you need to do:

Make sure that your "router" has Stateful packet inspection ability...just plain old NAT won't CYA in the event that someone's cracking at your front door.

If you still decide to go without the software firewall then make sure your computers are locked down on the inside. Patch the sh1t out of them and remove any unnecessary services.

Personally I have a stateful packet inspecting hardware firewall and all my computers locked down on the inside as well as running Anti-virus software.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
can you say linux?

I use az crappy old celeron 800 running linux and a firewall on it.

no need for anything else.

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,599 Posts
R1Budha said:
can you say linux?

I use az crappy old celeron 800 running linux and a firewall on it.

no need for anything else.

:iamwithst

My firewall runs linux, and is a Pentium2-266 w/ 128MB and a 700MB HDD. 3 NIC's for internal/external/DMZ.

But, I also run some firewall capabilities on each of my Linux systems now. Could really care less about the Windows side on my system. My wife's I'm not too worried about either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts