Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
faster faster
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a 2005 R1 Raven. I love it. What a great bike. My question is this. Should I replace the stock exhaust, put a power comander module on it and replace the windscreen with a double bubble one?
The bike is so powerful already, doing anything to it seems like a waste of money. I would like to personalise it though. I've always replaced the exhaust and tweaked my other bikes (CBR900, GSXR750) to get some power gains and performance improvements. But this bike doesn't need anything.
Will there be any improvement gains from slip on exhaust cans and a power commander? Is this just for looks.
Any comments, much appreciated.

·
No soup for you!
2,854 Posts
Yes.

·
Dead Head
148 Posts
The Double Bubble is a great improvement. I got a Puig dark smoke and I love it - go for it.

After-market cans are a matter of preference. As was stated already, by themselves, they don't do much for performance. I think the stock cans sound great on the 05, but I replaced mine with the Akros. Would I do it again? Maybe.

I think that if you are just street riding and the only mod you have done is changing the stock exhaust to slp-ons, then the Power Commander is just a waste of money for you. If you do a bunch of other stuff which will really impact the mixture/performance, like replacing the cat, air-box mods, new headers, etc - then you may want to spend money on a PC. Likewise if you race the bike or run it on the track. But for a street bike in a mostly stock configuration, don't spend your money on a PC.

·
Administrator
24,868 Posts
BobFV1 said:
I think that if you are just street riding and the only mod you have done is changing the stock exhaust to slp-ons, then the Power Commander is just a waste of money for you.
A power commander would help smooth out your bike even with it being bone stock. Power Commander''s website has a map for a stock bike. Why would that be?

·
Too Old For This!
271 Posts
Absolutely change your bike! The R1 is right up there with Harley in terms of what's available in the aftermarket. I have had several bikes that had lumpy power curves and the R1 has a bad dip at 7k. A full exhaust system and the Power Comander will fix that and drop several pounds too. I like the way it looks stock but it's just a starting point. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
366 Posts
**INSTEAD of starting a new thread**

I just wanted to ask, I also have a Raven, I want to do the Akro' slip on's. But the question is, after I do that, can I come back later and buy the full exhaust and PCIII? Meaning the whole header up to the Y pipe. Thanks in advance,

·
Fly or ride today??
730 Posts
x916krew said:
be for warned that once you start buying mods it turns into a sickness and you will never want to stop.....atleast that is how it is for me

This is how it is for most of us. It truly is an adiction to make your bike personalized to you, and the more parts you find for it the more you want to do to it. No you dont need to do anything to it, it is an awesome bike stock and is faster than most will ever need it to be, but it can always be faster.

·
They call me Smokey..
1,922 Posts
I disagree with others who say to add a power commander.. Add some cans for a better sound and ride that beast... Other little trinkets can personalize it for you, but in the end, it's still just like mine.:beer

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
6,223 Posts
YES..........:thumbup

·
faster faster
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys, thanks for the feedback.

Double bubble screen and slip ons seem like a good way to personalise the bike and get a little better wind resistance. The stock screen doesn't seem to do anything.
Cheers
Aaron

·
06 is my year
1,062 Posts
full system, powercommaner, different gearing, l.e.d.s., custom decals, etc. etc. etc.....

You must mod!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts