Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the tittle says, I'm looking at a good 2016 model, but I'm wondering if I should save up and get a 2020.

I noticed how the good the electronics are (quickshifter mainly) on a 2020 model and was wondering if a 2016 would be worse or about the same.

I know 2015-2019 was pretty much the same and the 2020 had some engine and emissions updates. Cant find any info on the electronics.

For example my 2017 CBR1000 had TCS and wheelie control coupled and they didn't fix it till the 2018 version.

I'm wondering if the 2015-2019 R1 has quirks like that and if they're worth waiting to get the 2020.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's up with the flashing on the 2020 model. How bad are they without the flash. I know most the other manufacturers (Honda, Kawa, Suzuki, BMW) restrict throttle blades to like 70% at high rpm and generally have a pretty gutted midrange.

·
Venom X/O
25,413 Posts
What's up with the flashing on the 2020 model. How bad are they without the flash. I know most the other manufacturers (Honda, Kawa, Suzuki, BMW) restrict throttle blades to like 70% at high rpm and generally have a pretty gutted midrange.
Same. The new bikes wake up big time with the flash

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a flash available for the 2020? I searched online and it doesn't look like anyone has one yet. And FT ECU is still working on it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Read the last several pages of this for info on the 2020 flash and all that. Informative read. It does appear that the 2020 flash is available now.

Personally, I’d get the 2020, full exhaust system, flash, and some other goodies. That’s what I’m trying to talk myself into right now anyway🤣

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,293 Posts
06 is the last year of the genesis motor. 08 is the last year with no abs or traction control. As stated the 17 up have quick shifter. Personally I'd get either an 06 or an 08, but, different strokes for different folks.

I can't remember if the last year for carbs is 00 or 01, but, carbs are an option too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
As the tittle says, I'm looking at a good 2016 model, but I'm wondering if I should save up and get a 2020.

I noticed how the good the electronics are (quickshifter mainly) on a 2020 model and was wondering if a 2016 would be worse or about the same.

I know 2015-2019 was pretty much the same and the 2020 had some engine and emissions updates. Cant find any info on the electronics.

For example my 2017 CBR1000 had TCS and wheelie control coupled and they didn't fix it till the 2018 version.

I'm wondering if the 2015-2019 R1 has quirks like that and if they're worth waiting to get the 2020.
Have you pulled the trigger on a bike yet?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not yet. I'm keeping an eye out though.
You still looking at the good deal on the’16 or going for auto blipper (think it’s’18+ on that feature, but you should verify)
Other changes starting in ‘20 are revised fairing and zero cables at throttle. I think the fancy new throttle is smoother than previous years. Also changed some internal engine work that somehow makes the stock version with 4 cats put out same power as ‘15-‘19 models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You still looking at the good deal on the’16 or going for auto blipper (think it’s’18+ on that feature, but you should verify)
Other changes starting in ‘20 are revised fairing and zero cables at throttle. I think the fancy new throttle is smoother than previous years. Also changed some internal engine work that somehow makes the stock version with 4 cats put out same power as ‘15-‘19 models.
I think I'll wait to get a 2020.A lot of people are asking way too much for anything above 2015. Its a couple of grand more for the 20.

The 2016 one I saw was a pretty good deal because it had a Ohlin's shock and front fork cartridge kit.

·
my genius knows no bounds
503 Posts
yeah unless you REALLY want the electronic suspension of the R1M, just get a 15-19, the later year the better, generally speaking, cuz hey why not. you can always change the suspension and you basically should, as the suspension for that year range was known to be just too stiff.

the situation with the 20+ flash is still kinda sketchy and some of us are sitting back to wait and see. some of us including me dont like how it requires different pinning of the ecu.

something like a 2017 with new fork internals and a typical FTECU flash and you'd be good to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ll throw my $.02 in. I have a 2020. I bought it last fall as basically a left over. It was a great deal so I said, why not.
I was disappointed when I found out the flash wasn’t available, but I waited patiently.
When the BT flash came out, I jumped.
I couldn’t be more happy and I’m still on stock exhaust. I haven’t decided on an aftermarket yet. The flash transformed the bike. It’s night and day. In fact, I have 2 friends with an 18 and a 19 with full exhausts. They’re both track guys. They both agreed my stock flashed bike feels stronger than both their full exhaust flashed bikes. Take it for what it’s worth, but thought I’d share.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah unless you REALLY want the electronic suspension of the R1M, just get a 15-19, the later year the better, generally speaking, cuz hey why not. you can always change the suspension and you basically should, as the suspension for that year range was known to be just too stiff.

the situation with the 20+ flash is still kinda sketchy and some of us are sitting back to wait and see. some of us including me dont like how it requires different pinning of the ecu.

something like a 2017 with new fork internals and a typical FTECU flash and you'd be good to go.
Ya, I'm not a fan of the flashing shit either. I bought the Whoolich racing kit for my 2017 CBR and it left a really sour taste in my mouth. First, they had a bug in the software that would break the traction control. Their customers we're never informed, and I only found out about it reading random forums. Then I tried to disable wheelie control by changing a 1 to a 0.

It didn't work at all, and when I contacted their team the best the could give me is a shrug and "we just expose the tables and data points"

So ya, I don't want to get the 2020 until the "sketchy" isn't so sketchy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ll throw my $.02 in. I have a 2020. I bought it last fall as basically a left over. It was a great deal so I said, why not.
I was disappointed when I found out the flash wasn’t available, but I waited patiently.
When the BT flash came out, I jumped.
I couldn’t be more happy and I’m still on stock exhaust. I haven’t decided on an aftermarket yet. The flash transformed the bike. It’s night and day. In fact, I have 2 friends with an 18 and a 19 with full exhausts. They’re both track guys. They both agreed my stock flashed bike feels stronger than both their full exhaust flashed bikes. Take it for what it’s worth, but thought I’d share.
That's great to hear. I've seen a bunch of used 2020s with under 1k miles from dealerships. I'm guessing someone bought it and didn't like it stock. It happened a lot with the newest gen S1000 when it first released.

·
'16 R1
'21 R1
52 Posts
That's great to hear. I've seen a bunch of used 2020s with under 1k miles from dealerships. I'm guessing someone bought it and didn't like it stock. It happened a lot with the newest gen S1000 when it first released.
Like you i been waiting for a good deal on a 20-21 R1 even post a WTB thread, But finally found my bike it's a '21 R1 Black with 4k miles for $15k

·
Registered
258 Posts
Some misinformation here, the 2015s have quickshifters. I know, I have one! However, it’s only upshift.
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts