1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Damn!!!! That right there will make you think about it.

·
Sportin Pimp Glasses
2,406 Posts
I am sure that the computers and everything else makes the bikes easier to ride, but you still have to have the nerves to take it to that level. There is also a certain amount of athleticism that goes into riding, which a guy like Schumacher would have. He must also have a good eye for picking a line and hand eye coordination.
We also have to remember that being three seconds off the pace of the rest of the field is huge. Especially when qualifying times are determined by tenths or even hundredths of a second.
Goes to show, it's good to be famous. You get to do all the fun stuff.

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
Pretty impressive, but it also helps to know the track and I'm sure he does.

·
What? Did I do that? Who me??
2,854 Posts
!: He's not just "anybody"

2: I kinda doubt he went that fast, maybe a little white lie?

3: Three seconds off the lap record is an awesome time. If he did do that, that man can ride.
Umm 5 seconds..he's a hack..

Seriously...fricken insane if you ask me...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
and this is why gp racing is so boring and itll fail to impress fans at the INdy GP. Brig back the 990 monsters with no TC! motogp is going to be worthless to watch in a year or two.

·
Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
!: He's not just "anybody"

2: I kinda doubt he went that fast, maybe a little white lie?

3: Five seconds off the lap record is an awesome time. If he did do that, that man can ride.
I'm not saying that his time wasn't awesome - but that Schumacher on a less-computer controlled, more violent 990 bike is not anywhere near the time he put on the wheelie-controlled/traction-controlled/launch controlled friendlier power banded 800cc bike. To me, it means that these bikes are way too easy to ride fast right away - just like Rossi has said. And Roger Hayden said it was easier than his Superbike.

5 seconds off is an excellent time - but should he really be able to accomplish that? An F1 driver? Someone who hasn't spent all his life coming through the motorcycle ranks since he was 5? Right off the 'street'?

To me, its a shame for for MotoGP.

Derek

·
Rip Gawarrior
1,471 Posts
So that could be how Stoner did it.

·
Track bound.
9,822 Posts
I'm not saying that his time wasn't awesome - but that Schumacher on a less-computer controlled, more violent 990 bike is not anywhere near the time he put on the wheelie-controlled/traction-controlled/launch controlled friendlier power banded 800cc bike. To me, it means that these bikes are way too easy to ride fast right away - just like Rossi has said. And Roger Hayden said it was easier than his Superbike.

5 seconds off is an excellent time - but should he really be able to accomplish that? An F1 driver? Someone who hasn't spent all his life coming through the motorcycle ranks since he was 5? Right off the 'street'?

To me, its a shame for for MotoGP.

Derek

You are jumping to too big a conclusion there. Firstly, the times aren't really verified. Second, a lot can change in two years. Who says he isn't out on the track every weekend? (on a bike)

·
Home Track Qualified
893 Posts
In '05 Schumi was a Ferrari Driver under contract, amazing that they would even let him on a motorcycle. Fast forward to '07 and he is retired, free to ride as hard as he can without fear of ruining Ferrari's umpteenth title defense.

·
Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are jumping to too big a conclusion there. Firstly, the times aren't really verified. Second, a lot can change in two years. Who says he isn't out on the track every weekend? (on a bike)
Sure, I am jumping to a conclusion. If I can find more info to go against my theory - great, no problem. Maybe he really is that amazing.

I hope Ben Spies got closer than 5 seconds...

Derek

·
Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No times, but this caught my attention. Repsol guest rider:

Repsol Montesa-HRC trials rider Laia Sanz, the 2007 Women's World Outdoor Trial Championship runner-up : No asphalt experience. "I had never ridden a racing bike and getting on one for the first time has without a doubt been an incredible experience. What really caught my attention was that riding was much more simple - at the speed I went obviously - than I had imagined."

Simple? It should be terrifying! Yes, yes, jumping again...

Derek

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.