Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been discussed here but anyway chk it out, some indepnedent company in AUS has developed a six stroke engine.
pretty cool stuff, they even have few animations to explain how it works and everything.

http://www.sixstroke.com/

What you guys think? can anyone think of any cons of it? Will it catch up?

·
It's small but it handles well
1,156 Posts
Looks like it has bunches or reciprocating mass.

·
High Speed - Low Drag
116 Posts
Looks like the cylinders are going to have to be bigger to have enough room for all the moving parts. Could mean more weight, and more things to break, but I guess only time will tell.

·
It's small but it handles well
1,156 Posts
I hope the two stroke comes back for an encore.

·
Tap dat...
14,394 Posts
Two strokes won't be back because of environmental issues. :(

·
Always getting faster...
1,205 Posts
Looks interesting. I'm still waiting for a rotary motorcycle engine!

·
Beeeeeer!
9,540 Posts
I'd settle for a sub 400 lb V-twin with a reasonable price tag.

·
Tap dat...
14,394 Posts
highsideR1 said:
Looks interesting. I'm still waiting for a rotary motorcycle engine!
:scared That would :rock

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fault said:
Looks like it has bunches or reciprocating mass.
The upper crank is about the same mass as the standard cam shaft and the upper piston is about the same mass as the valves and half the springs and rockers or buckets . the big difference is in the accelleration of the components the upper piston is slower in its accellerations so less energy is absorbed by the valve system.
(1)The 6-stroke engine is fundamentally superior to the 4- stroke because the head is a net contributor to, and an integral part of the power generation within the engine, unlike a cam only absorbing power.
(2)The 6stroke is thermodynamically more efficient because the change in volume of the power stroke is greater than the intake, compression, & exhaust strokes.
(3)The compression ratio can be increased because of the absence of hot spots in the combustion chamber.
(4)The rate of change in volume during the critical combustion period is less than in a 4stroke.
(5)The absence of valves within the combustion chamber allows design freedom.
(6) A one-piece engine from crankshaft to upper shaft becomes feasible. No head gasket.
(7)Fewer components, 15 per cylinder compared to 40 for a 4-stroke. Therefore the cost of manufacture is much less.
(8)Can be fitted to standard engine blocks so the market is much larger than the OEM sector , also includes the retrofit aftermarket sector.
The engine has proven to be robust on the race track, & have significant advantages over 4-strokes
(1)The valving is desmodromic
(2)There are no valves to drop or bounce.
(3)The rev limit is only what the bottom end can stand.
(4)Gas flow on intake increase of 20%.
(5)No possibility of engine damage if the timing belt slips or snaps
(6)The reed valves are so close to the intake ports that their tips become the virtual port opening. This achieves variable port area & variable engine demand valve timing. The tips open late & small amounts with low throttle settings & open early & fully at full throttle

Malbeare our new website below
http://www.sixstroke.com
:thumbup
have a look at the new burnout http://www.sixstroke.com/sr500_burnout.htm

I will post new dyno figures when available

1 - 11 of 11 Posts