Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
Motovation Race Cuts saved my bike. :fact People are afraid to cut the plastics but you're going to mess up the plastics either way in the event of going down.

And Race Cuts saved me bike. I am a strong believer. You guys can use no cuts if you want to but I will never use them.

Side fairing damage. I'm sure I would have bent the bracket on no cut frame sliders.

Motovation Race Cut frame sliders sit up closer to the front end of the bike and stick out far enough just to save the nose of my bike. My nose fairing did not touch the ground at all because of the Race Cut frame sliders.

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
This is a friend of mine who was riding behind me. He tried to avoid the same dog I was trying to avoid. The same dog that stuck around after the accident. The same dog you see in the picture below.

This is what happens when you have no protection at all.

The right/brake side is were the impact took place. He now wants race cut frame sliders like I have. Both his and my bike were at the same speed, went down in the same way, in the same place.

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
I know what your saying I would probably cry if I had to cut my oem fairings I had a set of GYTR no cuts saved my last R1
You see what I mean by looking at your first picture.....fairing damage no matter what. Might as well cut them right. :dunno

Not that frame sliders are to protect the plastics but they can help a lot. Helped mine and it's one last thing I have to worry about during my rebuild.

· Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Nothing but truth bro I was so happy to see that my frame sliders did exactly that protect the frame at the end of the day they protecetd the frame who cares about the fairings as long as the frame is straight

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
I've used 2 different methods:

1. Loosen OEM frame bolt until it's finger loose then paint it with white paint pen. Install side fairing and then reach in and unscrew bolt until it touches inside of fairing.

2. Remove bolt from frame. Tape around a small Sharpie so that it's diameter is big enough to fit evenly into the hole. Install side fairing to make the mark.

Cut fairing with drill and hole saw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.