Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I noticed the rim lip on the front wheel is slightly bent. Can anyone let me know if this something to be concerned about? The tire is not leaking any air.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Black
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Vehicle brake

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should be replaced.

You could check the runout with a dial indicator and see if it is inside spec, but, if you can see it with your eye, it's most likely done.
Yes, the wheel was put on balance machine today and it was wobbling from left to right. It is bent. I will be buying FZ10 wheels since they are almost third the price of the r1.

From reading the forums, I know the FZ/MT10 2017 wheels will fit the R1 2016. Do you know if the I can put the r1 sprocket on FZ wheel?

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,997 Posts
Yes, the wheel was put on balance machine today and it was wobbling from left to right. It is bent. I will be buying FZ10 wheels since they are almost third the price of the r1.

From reading the forums, I know the FZ/MT10 2017 wheels will fit the R1 2016. Do you know if the I can put the r1 sprocket on FZ wheel?
I can neither confirm nor deny cross platform compatibility of the sprocket. One thing you could do is check the Yamaha part number and see if it is a match.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can neither confirm nor deny cross platform compatibility of the sprocket. One thing you could do is check the Yamaha part number and see if it is a match.
I looked it up, the gen 3 FZ10/MT10 2016+ and r1s rims will fit 15+ r1. The cush drive, sprocket carrier, and sprocket has to be retained from the mt10 or r1s as they are incompabitable with the 2015+ r1.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Aren't the newest R1 rims in magnesium for some model years, even non R1M? If that is the case, then your bike will feel heavier handling in the front, especially if the back rim remains the same. It depends how you ride, track, street... it depends and may not even matters to you depending on your needs. Maybe you just want to go out there and have fun and ride!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the r1 and r1m are magnesium cast and the MT10/R1S is aluminum cast. My plan is to change both front and rear rims. I ended up getting a set of used blue R1M rims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts