Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 YZF R1
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi R1 gang !!!

TIA for any info that could help me pin point the cause/ causes of my coolant disappearing out of the reservoir. My bike has had this issue for the past couple years and that never really bothered me that much until this year. I have noticed the coolant level dropped from max to half point between max and low line. I rode about 1000 miles this season so not a whole lot. The summer was a bit hotter here in New England but nothing crazy. The fans were always kicking in past 224F. The coolant was done couple years back with proper purging the cooling system. I can honestly say that when I’m sitting at a light or in traffic, I get a slight smell coming from the front of the bike - especially when the fans turn on. I have never noticed any leaks or anything, and filled it up one time slightly past the max line - to learn later the bike didn’t like it, and vomited up some thru the escape hose. No big deal Quick clean up and things were looking better. Mind the fact this motorcycle has not been ridden hard - I take care of it as it’s my pride and joy, and I open her up from time to time
but never past the red line. So lastly, I topped the coolant off and I still have not noticed any leaks at all. I just changed the oil today and did not notice anything odd with the oil color. It looked normal to me just like used oil looks but I would need to get it tested to be 199%.

What could the problem be? I have checked all the hoses and went over all the clamps - no signs of leaks, cracks, etc. maybe I need to take my radiator guard and pressure test the radiator unit itself ? What the….
Could it be a tiny hole in the radiator where the fans are ??? I am just scratching my big head…

Maybe try it the other way - Does the coolant ever evaporate ? Also, no white smoke indicating blown head gasket…

Curious to what you guy have to say as I would love to get to the bottom of it this during this winter season and sort it out once for all without beating around the bush. 😑😑😑

Attachments

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
i don't know what store to recommend since you are in england so i am just going to post a link to the tool and you can find it. you just use the pressure tester to put it up to 20ish psi and leave it. take off the side panels and wait, eventually you will start to see a leak if there is one. the leak may be more noticeable when your bike is hot from metal expanding. if you find it local you can take your rad cap there to make sure the kit have the correct adapter

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like the kit, but for a one time deal? I'd throw you in the cheap seats and just change the radiator cap. Once the 220F's are flying, that cap is working opening and closing. So my guess is not a leak, but the blow-off valve change, see if that did it.

Top off the rez right at the high mark, top off coolant to the neck. Go out and beat pretty and bring it back in the same condition. Let it sit in the garage and let it belch away. Come morning, the radi sucked in some rez coolant so you check that first thing come morning. Top it off one rez more time, no point taking off the cap.

Finally another hot ride or slow ride and let it heat up, but next time you look, the rez stabilized at the high mark and no leak... it was the cap.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
i hear what your saying about the one time deal for the kit, i don't know where he would go in england but there has to be some cheap china tool store like harbour freight or princess auto over there that you can pick one up for 30-40 bucks. its cheaper then a shop and then you have a clear answer instead or just throwing on parts at random

·
Registered
2016 YZF R1
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i hear what your saying about the one time deal for the kit, i don't know where he would go in england but there has to be some cheap china tool store like harbour freight or princess auto over there that you can pick one up for 30-40 bucks. its cheaper then a shop and then you have a clear answer instead or just throwing on parts at random

I appreciate all the info! Going to pick one up at some point and run the test! I am excited but at the same time I hope it’s nothing major ! Lol! Thanks guys . I will follow up at some point with my findings

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree if we send it off to the dealer, minimum labor at the drive is the 1st hour pretty much burned out checking things out, then yes, take that shop [hour] money and buy the kit. Especially doing it yourself.

Got to work the OP's complaint and guess the post did not mention a puddle on the ground after a ride. The most likely answer is the cap not holding pressure. That's how I deduced it's just a cap as the only leak. Again, no mention of a green crusty dry hose end. No smell once parked.

The next one would be is to go look under and back where the drain hose is, wind sends all that dried colored powder under the frame right by the drain hose... Tells where the leak is coming from. Especially you put a finger over the hose end and comes back wet. Shows the cap is draining at that area. I wish it was rocket science, but as you can see...

·
Registered
2016 YZF R1
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info. No coolant build up. All was inspected and as clean as it was the day I went to look for the leak the first time ( about two years ago)

I am going to get the kit and test it myself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just went through a similar issue with my 16 where I smelled coolant at stops and tracked it down to the weep hole on the water pump. My issue cleared itself up after 2 flushes and a some miles, luckily. Definately check that area on the water pump.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Had an issue like this once on a friend's bike. No leaks visible but smelled like hot coolant. After pressuring it The small hose from the thermostat up to the top of the rad had the tiniest drip that was running into the radiator fins and evaporating off before it could even make a puddle. These small issues where somethings wrong but not really wrong just enough to bug you are the most annoying to me. I wish stuff would just break so I can fix it and we go on with our lives lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check for pin hole leaks in the radiator, a lot of road debris can cause small holes. Also the radiator cap, its just as important as any other part of the cooling system, take it off and inspect the gasket where it seals, you can be boiling it off and steam could be escaping from it, check the oil as well to make sure it’s not mixing from a leaking water pump internally. Sometimes on top of the engine where the thermostat there could be a small trickle and it boils on the engine before you notice it leaking down. Pressure test is always a given.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts