Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like the kit, but for a one time deal? I'd throw you in the cheap seats and just change the radiator cap. Once the 220F's are flying, that cap is working opening and closing. So my guess is not a leak, but the blow-off valve change, see if that did it.

Top off the rez right at the high mark, top off coolant to the neck. Go out and beat pretty and bring it back in the same condition. Let it sit in the garage and let it belch away. Come morning, the radi sucked in some rez coolant so you check that first thing come morning. Top it off one rez more time, no point taking off the cap.

Finally another hot ride or slow ride and let it heat up, but next time you look, the rez stabilized at the high mark and no leak... it was the cap.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree if we send it off to the dealer, minimum labor at the drive is the 1st hour pretty much burned out checking things out, then yes, take that shop [hour] money and buy the kit. Especially doing it yourself.

Got to work the OP's complaint and guess the post did not mention a puddle on the ground after a ride. The most likely answer is the cap not holding pressure. That's how I deduced it's just a cap as the only leak. Again, no mention of a green crusty dry hose end. No smell once parked.

The next one would be is to go look under and back where the drain hose is, wind sends all that dried colored powder under the frame right by the drain hose... Tells where the leak is coming from. Especially you put a finger over the hose end and comes back wet. Shows the cap is draining at that area. I wish it was rocket science, but as you can see...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts