Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
big tracks scare me
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd start up a thread about my simple street build since it will be more than just flushmounts and a fender eliminator :lol.....

Bought the bike used and drove 14 hours to pick it up one way (I am a repeat offender of this crime - did the same with my track R6 :shake).

How I picked it up.....

Next to it's smaller "brother" (not very stock either).....

First mods -
getting rid of the stock reflectors
changing it to GP shift
gutted the stock cans
putting on some fresh rubber (Pilot Road 3's)
powdercoating the wheels white
Greggs Customs mirror block offs
Puig light smoke screen
Proton flushies
Stahlbus oil drain valve
Aggracing rear brake reservoir delete
Aggracing 90* valve stems
CustomLED rear light
Graves fender eliminator...

·
big tracks scare me
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I told myself that this would be all I would do to the bike for a while (at least 'til it was paid off). Then a buddy said he was going to be getting rid of his Ohlins forks and after working out a deal, I picked them up and a few more parts to go "with" the forks. :lol

Quick list -
Ohlins FGRT808 forks
Brembo GP4-RX Nickel calipers (130mm so no spacers)
Brembo RCS19
Brembo 84mm Black rear caliper
BrakeTech steel rotors (front and rear)
Brembo clutch lever
Stahlbus speed bleeders
CoreMoto brake lines
FastFrank Racing front/rear captive wheel spacers
FastFrank Racing front/rear quick change axles
LighTech chain adjusters (modified for the FF rear axle)
MotionPro throttle kit
Renthal Clip-ons
Renthal medium (grey) grips
Auctmarts rearsets
520 chain kit (stock gearing)
OEM white rear solo cowl

After the install -

I will take a current picture of the setup in the next few days and update the thread.

·
big tracks scare me
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking good Smalls. What's next Exhaust?
Yea, it's definitely on the list along with a few other things but money isn't on my side so who knows when it will get done.

How do you like the Quick change axles ?
Love em. Only thing that bugs me is that the LighTech lettering is upside down and the measurements are upside down. Only way to make it all right-side up is by having the axle come out on the right not left.

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,599 Posts
Love em. Only thing that bugs me is that the LighTech lettering is upside down and the measurements are upside down. Only way to make it all right-side up is by having the axle come out on the right not left.
I don't have Frank's axle. But, that is how mine is setup: Axle removes on the right side.

Oh, and I would've paid that thing off instead of buying bits for it. ;)

·
big tracks scare me
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have Frank's axle. But, that is how mine is setup: Axle removes on the right side.

Oh, and I would've paid that thing off instead of buying bits for it. ;)
If the axle is setup like mine, then it removes on the left. ;)

·
37,599 Posts
If the axle is setup like mine, then it removes on the left. ;)
If yours was setup correctly, the lettering would be right side up. :crash

Older pictures. But, shows the configuration.

·
37,599 Posts
I don't understand! The Lightech adj had to be modified for the axle. Did they mod the wrong one?
It is either made incorrectl. Or, Frank did it with intentiin to pull axle from the right. The only thing which would matter is if he has the captive caliper mount. Otherwise, I think he would be fine flipping them around.

IMO, he needs to email Frank and ask. Frank is one of the best customer support people I have ever dealt with. :fact

·
big tracks scare me
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't understand! The Lightech adj had to be modified for the axle. Did they mod the wrong one?
Ish. Typically the way that FF does the quick change kits is so that the axle pulls out of the left side of the bike (as you are sitting on it). The way that the LighTech's are made, it has a little spot to put the additional adapter to make the rear caliper captive instead of having to remove it every time you remove the wheel.

It is either made incorrectl. Or, Frank did it with intentiin to pull axle from the right. The only thing which would matter is if he has the captive caliper mount. Otherwise, I think he would be fine flipping them around.

IMO, he needs to email Frank and ask. Frank is one of the best customer support people I have ever dealt with. :fact
It is made with the intention to pull from the left much like the one on my R6 is made.

You are correct about keeping the rear caliper in place. :fact

·
37,599 Posts
I was looking at the pictures further, any chance you can flip the inserts of the lighttecs so the are the same as the adjustment scale? :dunno

·
big tracks scare me
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was looking at the pictures further, any chance you can flip the inserts of the lighttecs so the are the same as the adjustment scale? :dunno
Nope, that was the first thing I tried.

As you can see, the side that FF puts in his adapter to make the brake caliper captive has a notch cut out of it stock from LighTech so no way to swap that stuff around.

It's something really small that irks me but definitely doesn't turn me away from FF. His quality of work/products are top notch.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts