Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
DILLIGAF
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this has been covered in another thread but my web connection in Iraq is slower than dial up on a good day, so I'm just gonna ask the question. Hopefully all you mod gurus:bow in here can give me some help.

Is it VITAL for me to install smog block off plates and remove the AIS for my bike that will be used mostly on the street and some day on a track? Right now all I have installed is a full termi exhaust and a pcIIIusb. On the way I have some graves Vstacks. Also would an after market air filter be necessary? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
i don't think it's necessary. the plates will help eliminate the popping on decelaration.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
24,167 Posts
+1

I kinda like the popping, but it you ever want an accurate exhaust gas analysis done, you will need the block offs. They won't add any power or anything, just remove the AIS and stops the motor from pumping air into the exhaust.

Semper Fi, and thanks!

·
DILLIGAF
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it necessary to get an accurate exhaust gas analysis when having my pcIII custom mapped? If not, I don't mind the popping sound either. I would rather not take my engine half way apart just to put those block off plates in. BTW, your welcome DanQ and Ooh Rah.

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
You'll take about 2 pounds worth of crap off your bike in the process which is worth something. But if you primarily ride it on the street it may not be worth risking the ticket for pulling " smog " equipment off the bike ??? don't know if that's a worry where you are.

·
DILLIGAF
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I live in Hawaii right now but I plan on moving back to North Carolina where they do emissions inspections.

·
Philly Rider
407 Posts
If you plan on having your bike Dyno tunned in the future then I would install them. As for the popping my bike still pops with the block off plates on. The only dis-advantage I would say is you and if you have a passenger will smell like exhaust alot more with the smog pump blocked off. Also when you do your spark plugs it makes it a breeze. It is not a easy job it takes alot of patience and creative use of tools.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
24,167 Posts
Is it necessary to get an accurate exhaust gas analysis when having my pcIII custom mapped? If not, I don't mind the popping sound either. I would rather not take my engine half way apart just to put those block off plates in. BTW, your welcome DanQ and Ooh Rah.
Well... if you know you are going for the custom map, you are best getting the smog plates and removing the AIS. The plus side is you will have easier sparkplug changes from what I hear.

If you are doing the custom map, try to find a place with a dyno and exhaust gas analysis.

What timeframe do you get back to the states? And where will you be headed? I'll keep an eye open for good tuners in your area.

·
DILLIGAF
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be headed home around mid march. My bike is in Connecticut where I'll be taking leave. I'm gonna be installing all of the parts I'm buy out here when I get there. My plan is to have it all done to include the custom map before I ship my bike to Hawaii where I'm stationed. Would it really be a problem trying to pass an emissions inspection without the AIS? If I'm gonna get a ticket every year because of my bikes emissions, I'd rather not install the block offs.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
24,167 Posts
I'll be headed home around mid march. My bike is in Connecticut where I'll be taking leave. I'm gonna be installing all of the parts I'm buy out here when I get there. My plan is to have it all done to include the custom map before I ship my bike to Hawaii where I'm stationed. Would it really be a problem trying to pass an emissions inspection without the AIS? If I'm gonna get a ticket every year because of my bikes emissions, I'd rather not install the block offs.
Oh yes... CT... it get's cold up there brother! What part? I used to be from Bridgeport until I joined in 83. I'll never go back.

I'm not sure what all they are inspecting as far as bikes, but they'd never know that the AIS was off. It's not an absolute necessity to remove them, but it will be moroe difficult to tune. Not impossible.

You getting out when you get back?

·
Smooth like #40 Grit Sandpaper
141 Posts
Oh yes... CT... it get's cold up there brother! What part? I used to be from Bridgeport until I joined in 83. I'll never go back.

I'm not sure what all they are inspecting as far as bikes, but they'd never know that the AIS was off. It's not an absolute necessity to remove them, but it will be moroe difficult to tune. Not impossible.

You getting out when you get back?
Yeah, I hear ya, 'tis cold up here. Worst part is I just moved back here last year from GA, miss it every day.

·
DILLIGAF
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it is cold as hell up there. I've been in for over 11 years so I'm just gonna finish out the 20. I own a house in New Britain. That's where the wife and kids live. I still have a year left in Hawaii after I get back from Iraq then I'm gonna try to go back to Lejeune, much closer to the Gap:rock

·
Moderator - In Memorium
24,167 Posts
Yeah it is cold as hell up there. I've been in for over 11 years so I'm just gonna finish out the 20. I own a house in New Britain. That's where the wife and kids live. I still have a year left in Hawaii after I get back from Iraq then I'm gonna try to go back to Lejeune, much closer to the Gap:rock
Cool... Decent part of the state. I still don't prefer to go there becuase of the weather :)

Well... if you make it towards LeJeune let me know. I work on Camp Johnson, and probably won't go anywhere too soon (got resume's out... but don't see anything I'm too interested in).

Take care...

·
Moderator - In Memorium
24,167 Posts
What do you do on Camp Johnson?
I'm a Research Technician. I work for the agency that supports the the system that handles the pay and personnel data for all Marines. It's fun... and they pay me decent.

·
Track days here I come
701 Posts
I've done a lot of research on the forum and here's what I've found about the plates:

-Gives you 1-3 more HP
-Removes about 2 pounds
-Gives you more low end snort
-Cleaner, cooler air in cylinders
-Eliminates very annoying popping on low end
-Semi-difficult install
-Cheap upgrade

·
Ya whatever, save it
2,514 Posts
Get em directly from Graves if you want and yes they come with detailed directions...... plan on spending several hours doing the removal etc...

·
DILLIGAF
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So can anyone tell me if this is gonna be a problem during an emissions inspection?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.