Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
katuuuge!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have no experience in carburetors, this is my first. is this supposed to happen or am i burning oil someplace? help please.

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
It could be a couple of things, smoke normally means either incomplete combustion or oil that is burning.

You will need to be a bit more specific though. Is only when starting cold, does it actually smell like burning oil ? Is it only when at Idle etc. I am a bit rusted when it comes to Carbs but it's normally either a combustion problem (carbs can be dirty, injectors clogged etc.) or it's an Oil ring that went. Do the bike use oil ?

Hope it helps, but someone with a similiar bike may point you in the right direction. Just give a better description on the what's where's and when's.

:fork Ride Safe and Respect the Beast :rock

:boobies Rule !!!

·
katuuuge!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it smokes at idle. smells is just like a regular carburetor engine'd car but there's smoke. alot of smoke when it's a cold start. but anything after 5+ hours of not running, it smokes.

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
:thumbup

That sounds like a fuel problem then. I think if you get the carbs cleaned and the jetting and mixtures set it should solve your problem. Maybe change the the plugs filters and oil at the same time.

Maybe some Carb Guru on the forum can push you in the right direction. Good luck I hope you get it sorted, does'nt sound to bad though.

:fork Ride Safe :boobies

·
katuuuge!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any chance i can get Ivan's jet kit and it'll solve the problem? found some bonus cash at work tonight, all for me haha.

if anything that cash is going to routine maintenance. does anyone have a how to on disassembling the carbs? most of the how-to's here are for 03+ R1's :(

·
1998 r1 #200
85 Posts
any chance i can get Ivan's jet kit and it'll solve the problem? found some bonus cash at work tonight, all for me haha.

if anything that cash is going to routine maintenance. does anyone have a how to on disassembling the carbs? most of the how-to's here are for 03+ R1's :(
Get a manual and go step by step, and watch for little parts falling out. If you need any help let me know. I have had those carbs apart a 100 times. You want to blow out all the little holes and orifces everywhere with compressed air. number 1 most important thing is float height. These carbs are real finicky with there float height. I suspect that has something to do with your problem. I have finally got my carbs dialed in perfect. I used a ivans jet kit and there isnt a burp or a hickup anywhere in the rpm range and it pulls hard with no hesitation. I would suggest ivans kit and alot of patience and you can make carbs almost like injection.
Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.